The debate is over: The oceans are in hot, hot water

Page 1 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 1:04 am

https://www.salon.com/2019/01/20/the-de ... r_partner/

Seems pretty compelling. Can any of you debunk this as fake news? I am not a climate scientist, chemist, or physicist. I don’t know if even the simple math and statements they made are accurate or not.

But assuming it’s legit, this should be pretty alarming stuff.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 1:21 am

This article gives a lot of numbers, stuff that sounds impressive but actually means very little. It talks about how hot the oceans are getting warmer and instead of giving something useful to show that like a graph or trend line plotting out ocean temperatures over time, it gives the data in a way that is impossible to interpret and useless. Joules added compared to joules used by humanity means absolutely nothing.

It's the old saying, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS"

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 1:48 am

We know humans are ruining the environment, but what can we do?

Look at the grief they give Trump for trying to keep people out.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 2:20 am

RichardJ wrote:
This article gives a lot of numbers, stuff that sounds impressive but actually means very little. It talks about how hot the oceans are getting warmer and instead of giving something useful to show that like a graph or trend line plotting out ocean temperatures over time, it gives the data in a way that is impossible to interpret and useless. Joules added compared to joules used by humanity means absolutely nothing.

It's the old saying, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS"

Is it BS, though?

Nothing you've said debunks anything in the article. All you've said is that they provided some data and without a visual representation You can't interpret it very easily. That doesn't mean that anything in the article is false or misleading.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 2:22 am

Are there any reports that the fishing industry is suffering on a global scale? A shortage of sea food and a corresponding significant rise in sea food prices would be a pretty clear indication of a significant problem.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 2:26 am

EzraS wrote:
Are there any reports that the fishing industry is suffering on a global scale? A shortage of sea food and a corresponding significant rise in sea food prices would be a pretty clear indication of a significant problem.

Salmon fishery collapsed in Alaska in 2017. I've seen headlines about other fish stocks dwindling. No idea if there's a global industry report, but if all of these headlines are correct we're about to see big time shortages of fishies.. worse year by year if that other recent article is correct in forecasting 2048 as the year we fish our last fish at the current rates of decline.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 2:29 am

goldfish21 wrote:
RichardJ wrote:

Is it BS, though?

Nothing you've said debunks anything in the article. All you've said is that they provided some data and without a visual representation You can't interpret it very easily. That doesn't mean that anything in the article is false or misleading.

No, I didn't debunk anything in the article. It doesn't need debunking as it lists no data that can possibly be used to show rising ocean temperatures, instead it gives useless information that sounds impressive.

It isn't that the information isn't represented visually, it simply doesn't exist in the article at all, I was just suggesting a good way to show the information that would actually go for their point.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 2:36 am

But there is data & information in the article. It's not void of any data, information, statements or claims. And you haven't debunked anything written in it, so how can you call it BS? :?

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 2:48 am

goldfish21 wrote:
But there is data & information in the article. It's not void of any data, information, statements or claims. And you haven't debunked anything written in it, so how can you call it BS? :?

The data that they use doesn't provide evidence for anything they say. I say BS because they have written this article on statements alone, the data provided is meaningless. If they want to show that the oceans are warming tell me a rate of warming, the current temp verses 10 years ago, etc. They simply say that the oceans gained 9 zettajoules of energy, without knowing the whole energy content of all the oceans in joules, the mass of the oceans, and a conversion factor between joules and temperature, one cannot even determine the current temperature, let alone the rate of change and whether this increase was a one year event(did they lose energy the previous year?).

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 3:03 am

goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Salmon fishery collapsed in Alaska in 2017.

Not according to the alaska.gov
2017 Commercial Salmon Harvest Summary. In fact it says 2017 was a banner year (see below).

Quote:
Forrest Bowers, Deputy Director of the Division of Commercial Fisheries characterized the 2017 Alaska salmon season as a banner year for the industry

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?a ... pr10032017

This reminds me if the claim that crops were rotting due to there not being enough illegal alien pickers, but when I checked the .gov agriculture report, there was no indication of that whatsoever.

goldfish21 wrote:
I've seen headlines about other fish stocks dwindling. No idea if there's a global industry report, but if all of these headlines are correct we're about to see big time shortages of fishies.. worse year by year if that other recent article is correct in forecasting 2048 as the year we fish our last fish at the current rates of decline.

You might want to investigate those matters the way I just did.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 8:12 am

EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

2017 Commercial Salmon Harvest Summary. In fact it says 2017 was a banner year (see below).

Quote:
Forrest Bowers, Deputy Director of the Division of Commercial Fisheries characterized the 2017 Alaska salmon season as a banner year for the industry

This reminds me if the claim that crops were rotting due to there not being enough illegal alien pickers, but when I checked the .gov agriculture report, there was no indication of that whatsoever.

goldfish21 wrote:
I've seen headlines about other fish stocks dwindling. No idea if there's a global industry report, but if all of these headlines are correct we're about to see big time shortages of fishies.. worse year by year if that other recent article is correct in forecasting 2048 as the year we fish our last fish at the current rates of decline.

See the last paragraph of this article:

http://www.thebigwobble.org/2018/11/ano ... n.html?m=1

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 8:13 am

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:

As long as the Koch brothers still get to make ever more money, EzraS and RichardJ will eat, drink, and breathe sludge.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 8:23 am

goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Quote:

goldfish21 wrote:

See the last paragraph of this article:

http://www.thebigwobble.org/2018/11/ano ... n.html?m=1

That last paragraph seems to have been debunked by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. That's what I mean by investigating what you read on websites like the big wobble.

Last edited by EzraS on 28 Jan 2019, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 8:27 am

Also remember that fishies can, conceivably, adapt to the new conditions. They’ve done this before over about 400 million years. They did fine over at least two massive geologic “apocalypses.”

El Niño and La Niña are caused by fluctuations in water temperatures.

All this bears watching—but to predict the 2048 Apocalypse with certainty can be said to be alarmist.

We should change our habits....but we should also not jump to impetuous conclusions.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 8:29 am

I believe in environmentalism, by the way.