Lucrative Work For Those With An Aspie-type Temperament

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 8:58 pm

The grand Inquisitor

If you do not apply jobs that specify "outgoing", "friendly", unless you have a STEM degree, there are not many jobs to apply to

Usually I just apply anyways

"Outgoing" is subjective and you can't measure it

Personality tests, almost always fail

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 10:34 pm

Thank god I'm a programmer.

I can't think of anything that I'd be better suited at.

Though my aspie nature has kept me from getting promotions and generally advancing in the job (keeping me from moving on to something like an architect). I'm pretty good at the day-to-day stuff, but going to the next level (which involves more management qualities than I possess) seems unlikely.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 10:37 pm

Lighthouse keeper

Stockbroker

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2019, 10:09 pm

Cabinet making. My last doctor did this as a hobby. But was good enough to have requests from big city boutiques that could sell his stuff for $10 000+.

Work on your own. Use your hands, but also your brain in the intricacies of structure design.

Little formal training required if you're autodidactic.

Do it in your own time.

Use non-powered hand tools. That becomes its own niche selling point. And quieter and cleaner than power tools.

Needs_Anonymity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2019, 10:33 am

I agree that cybersecurity might be a good option, if you have the means to get the credential and are good at programming. Or, for something more hands-on in a related field that pays more than factory labor, have you thought about telecom installation and/or design? In-demand, undersupply of good candidates, does not necessarily need degree. I don't know about Aspies specifically, but lots of ADHD and quirky/abrasive people in field. Check out bicsi.org for a well-respected training course (a beginner would start with copper and/or fiber optic installation).

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2019, 10:37 am

Supporting the Wireless 5g infrastructure will need a lot of people.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2019, 10:58 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Even though it's not the most stable or reliable, I do think working anywhere in film would be cool for anybody.

It might seem cool from the outside, but working in any branch of the entertainment industry is three kinds of nightmare wrapped in five layers of horror.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 1:42 pm

Depends how you define “lucrative,” as the $ amounts are relative.

It’s too bad you’re not willing to be more physical than mental. A skilled construction trade could work well. Technical and finishing trades require attention to detail. Plus some trades you almost always work solo and don’t have to interact with others much.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2019, 10:16 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Depends how you define “lucrative,” as the $ amounts are relative.

It’s too bad you’re not willing to be more physical than mental. A skilled construction trade could work well. Technical and finishing trades require attention to detail. Plus some trades you almost always work solo and don’t have to interact with others much.

I never said I'm not willing to do work that is more physical than mental in nature, just that my preference is more mental than physical, for a few reasons. I'm out of shape, have minor posture problems, fatigue relatively easily and have a metal rod in my left femur from breaking it when I was 13, so a career that was very physically demanding would probably not be the best fit for me. I probably couldn't be a removalist or anything like that, but I'm sure there are some jobs in the construction industry that I would be able to do. Whether or not I would choose to do them would depend on what the pay was like relative to jobs that are more mental in nature that I'd be interested in pursuing.

Currently I'm thinking I'd like to undertake study to become an accounts clerk/payroll clerk/bookkeeper, as I feel those jobs would play to my strengths and suit my preferences. My current wage is $650 and the average wage in those jobs I mentioned is $1000

I'll have to negotiate with my work to become casual and ask to generally have three days a week for work, except when it gets busy. The other two days, I can devote to study online. If they aren't happy with that, then I'd quit my job, undertake study full-time internally, claim the social security payment for full-time study, and do a couple of hours of uber eats deliveries here and there throughout the day to secure a livable wage so I still have enough to move out of home and pay bills.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 12:33 pm

Aaah, gotcha, a few limitations & constraints.

Good to pursue something more lucrative vs. accepting the status quo of your income forever. 8)

If you carry on with a desk job career, do yourself a MASSIVE life favour and also focus on your health & physical fitness. Being sedentary and getting weak and more overweight just won't bode well in the long term. Make sure to be physical throughout your day and after work - even just walking a lot. (burns more fat than running!) Bit by bit you'll slim down and be healthier and better off for it in every way. I speak from experience. Keeps you more mentally sharp for your desk job pursuits, too.