My family's house burnt down.

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2019, 6:39 pm

Yesterday, I was in my room, and my mom suddenly yelled for me to get out of the house. I asked her what was happening, and she said the house was on fire. I went to get my phone, computer and Nintendo Switch. Sadly, I didn't think to get my wallet or my textbook. I ran outside with those things, and my mom and my dog followed. My mom didn't get the right keys for the car in the driveway, but luckily a nice man had stopped in the road and let us in his truck. A few fire trucks came and the man brought us to my grandma's house, which was only a couple minutes away.

The cause of the fire is unknown. Nobody got hurt. My parents and my dog staying at my grandma's, and I'm living with my sister and her roommate so I can use their internet for school. The house is completely destroyed; the fire went on for several hours yesterday. Everything that was in the house is gone. Obviously, I'm sad about it, but I'm very thankful for what I still have.

We've had a lot of support from friends and family

Last edited by SaveFerris on 31 Jan 2019, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Go Fund Me Link Removed

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 7:44 pm

I'm really sorry this happened to you. I hope the family will get on their feet again soon.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 7:51 pm

I'm trying to find related on-line news reports. Links, anyone?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 8:23 pm

So sorry your house burned down and so glad you got out. Talk about dealing with change. I wish you and your family well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 8:40 pm

I'm glad you've found relatives to put you folks up. I'm so sorry you and your family were displaced like this.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 8:41 pm

@coalminer: Keep us posted on any new developments, okay?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 9:00 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. :( I hope everything works out for you guys!

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2019, 9:03 pm

There was a GoFundMe link for my family in the first post, but I guess that's not allowed.

:(

(We're doing okay with money as far as I'm aware, it's just that I told my parents we'd get a boost from posting a link here.)

Thank you for the concern, everyone.

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 9:25 pm

Hi Coalminer. Yes, your link was removed. Although not explicitly against the rules it was felt that posting GoFundMe links might open the site up to possible scamming. We (the mods) can have some further discussion on this, but in the meantime while waiting for all the mods to have a chance to discuss it we will leave the link out.

AQ 40
ASD-1

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2019, 9:30 pm

feeli0 wrote:
Hi Coalminer. Yes, your link was removed. Although not explicitly against the rules it was felt that posting GoFundMe links might open the site up to possible scamming. We (the mods) can have some further discussion on this, but in the meantime while waiting for all the mods to have a chance to discuss it we will leave the link out.

Okay, I understand. Thank you for informing me.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 1:12 am

At least you got out in time. Things can be replaced, life cannot.

Chezz86
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2019, 1:40 am

This is an awful thing to happen but please remember it's just stuff and it's really just a house. Insurance will pay for the damage hopefully, and the cause of the fire will be investigated. Try not to worry too much about these things, you're still alive, so is everyone else.

This could have been SO much worse, all the humans and the dog made it out fine, which is the most important thing of all.

It sounds as if you have a very helpful family as well, which is a blessing isn't it. My mum just rescued me from a very bad marriage gone very badly wrong, so I live with her now until I find a place of my own, so I know what it feels like to be in 'limbo' and not know what is happening next. Makes life very hard, but we learn to overcome hardships and accept them for what they are rather than become so distressed by them if you get me. You might not be able to change the situation going on around you, but you can change how you react to it, so even if everyone else is in a panic, you stay calm and don't contribute to it, this is a big lesson life has taught me the hard way x

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 6:34 am

my condolences on the terrible event u've been through. and well, as others said, at least u are alive. dont blame urself for suboptimal choice of things u took, panick can do most weird things to one's mind. it is really great u are getting help in this situation. hold on, the most horrible part is over. u made it.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 7:25 am

Very glad everyone survived!

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 8:09 am

I have a friend who had a very similar experience to him many years ago, when we were in middle school. He and his family survived, thankfully.

I'm glad you're safe.

Did you know what caused it to happen?

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2019, 8:22 am

UncannyDanny wrote:
I have a friend who had a very similar experience to him many years ago, when we were in middle school. He and his family survived, thankfully.

I'm glad you're safe.

Did you know what caused it to happen?

We aren't completely sure. But my mom says she put a bag of warm coals from the fireplace in the garage the day before, so that might've been the reason.

My parents are afraid that we'd be accused of starting the fire intentionally if the insurance people knew that, though, so they told them we have no idea. The house is burned too badly for investigators to figure out how it happened.