Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 4:15 pm

As a University student, people often assume that I must spend a good portion of my time going out partying with my friends. When in reality, my friends are usually more shy and reclusive. The kind who would never set foot on a dance floor yet alone suggest it. But I can't help but feel as though my life is missing something. I have a love/hate relationship with social spots. There are times where I enjoy going out, but then there are also moments where I get overwhelmed and you never really know what to expect which can be a little daunting.

The few friends I have which do enjoy going out often do so with a crowd that I wouldn't get on with. Sometimes I am asked why I don't hang out with my classmates outside of lesson, but it can often be difficult to organise such things and most people aren't interested. I feel bad about this lack of social life, but there doesn't seem much that I can do about it. At the moment I'm not entirely sure where my comfort zone is, and how far I'm willing to step out of that place.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 6:58 am

Just let things flow naturally. I was never into clubs and such when I was young. I used to just hang out with my girlfriend and (rarely) other friends in coffee shop type places.

Not every university student is into noisy clubs. Some just like to hang out in coffee houses or Starbucks or something.

College students here also like to study together and gather in their dorm rooms to hang out. Or in student spaces in the college itself.

Or, of course, you can go to the cinema with someone, then go to a coffee place or restaurant.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 7:32 am

Do you live on campus?

During Uni I tried to be social during the first few weeks of Orientation and the hazing activities. I remember forcing myself to attend those events and meet people. All I remember is that someone's name was Barney. I'd never met a Barney before. Safe to say, I didn't remain friends with anyone apart from a few girls who lived in my dormitory, whom I'd already met. One guy I was friends with attempted to date rape me while studying, and I nearly quit school because of my injuries.

You don't need more than one or two friends to survive Uni. I found those people (or so I thought) and lived off-campus with them. We were all very studious and spent most of our time in the library whether together or apart. We went to town shopping and went to the cinema. That's about it. In all my years of Uni I went to about four parties / alcohol events, and that was enough for me.

I didn't drink coffee during Uni, so coffee shops weren't even a 'thing' back then.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 6:57 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Do you live on campus?

Yes.