Page 1 of 26 [ 401 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 3:05 pm

I really don't think I can talk about how I feel on here anymore. No one seems to care. If I say I'm lonely I'll be presented with rationalizations on why I deserve to be lonely.

I'm feeling nothing, is that good enough?

I'm not here to whine but that's the only characterization you'll probably apply to me anyway so I think I'll leave. Perhaps I'm venting on a personal note but I think single guys with ASD are being treated like defective merchandise.

This is a thread for talking about guys' concerns instead of just calling us substandard because blah blah blah. I think silencing lonely people is cruel & unusual.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 3:37 pm

I'm a guy, so you can rest assured I won't judge you for how you feel in this way. I don't regard what I see of you as someone who is perpetually declaring that you're lonely and perpetually asking for sympathy, so you're either not doing that, I'm not seeing such posts from you or a bit of both.

My personality (it drives my wife crazy sometimes) is that of a "fixer". I have a problem or hear of a problem and my instinct is to think of how to fix it.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask you a few things about your issue:

> What kinds of things specifically are you doing now or have you done in the last six months to meet someone romantically?

I might ask a few more questions, so if you don't want me to ask anymore, just tell me.

My Mom died a year ago. My Dad is understandably still grieving her loss which involves some serious moping and an overall negative attitude about life. There are great support groups consisting specifically of older widows/widowers in his exact same position. I have personally talked to a member of such a group whose husband died several years ago. She said joining that support group was the best thing she'd ever done. She said another member of that group waited a year to join that same group and said she'd wished she'd joined right away it's helped her so much. One of my coworker's has an ex mother-in-law who also joined a similar group and said she is so grateful she did that. I have urged my Dad to try such a group even if it's just once. So far he's refused and is simply "spinning his wheels". I am fast losing sympathy for him. If he's not willing to take any measures to help himself, then that's unfair to those around him.

In no way am I saying the following about you (I mean this sincerely), but there have been members here over time that have given the same lamentations but rebuff/discount any advice given to them and simply continue with the same lamentations ("lather, rinse, repeat"). When I see that kind of pattern, if it truly is that kind of repeat pattern...I'm out.

ShyGirl7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2019, 3:43 pm

cberg wrote:
I really don't think I can talk about how I feel on here anymore. No one seems to care. If I say I'm lonely I'll be presented with rationalizations on why I deserve to be lonely.

I'm feeling nothing, is that good enough?

I'm not here to whine but that's the only characterization you'll probably apply to me anyway so I think I'll leave. Perhaps I'm venting on a personal note but I think single guys with ASD are being treated like defective merchandise.

This is a thread for talking about guys' concerns instead of just calling us substandard because blah blah blah. I think silencing lonely people is cruel & unusual.

I'm suprised that you're like this. You're usually very positive. What happened? :|

Last edited by ShyGirl7 on 04 Feb 2019, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 3:50 pm

cberg wrote:
I think single guys with ASD are being treated like defective merchandise.
:(

I'm sorry you feel that way.
If I may pipe in as a woman, I'd love to meet or date a single man with ASD who is my age. Unfortunately, every interesting "ASD type" guy I've met is married, gay, in a relationship (or combinations thereof), or considerably younger than myself. I used to be a fairly active person, I went to Uni and had a gainful career for many years, but I never met single ASD guys.

ASD men certainly aren't defective merchandise in the eyes of ASD women (or gay ASD guys, I'd presume).

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 3:55 pm

Quote:
> What kinds of things specifically are you doing now or have you done in the last six months to meet someone romantically?

Well looking back I probably did a lot of the common stuff but I'm not someone anyone can understand from one conversation in a café. I'm also pretty much completely discouraged. I'm not aure anything I did in the past 6 years counted as romantic.

I'm a programmer, hacker & a mountain hippie. I don't often meet anyone because I'm quite attached to the people in my life already. I'm trying to be more agreeable towards the few women who know me at all because I see few if any other ways to do that at all.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 3:56 pm

I wouldn't want you to be distraught at not being able to find consolation through others. You sound, from reading your posts, like someone with a first rate intellect; it's the lot of such people to be alone in life - "it's lonely at the top" as the saying goes. This applies to all superior people, but particularly those superior on an intellectual score. I can assure you, from what little personal experience I have, that most people aren't worth getting to know, in either a romantic/sexual capacity or a Platonic one. Humans are generally cruel and irrational, but when the sex instinct is involved, this is doubled. I can only advise that you learn to tolerate loneliness. This is rich of me to say, as someone who loves being alone and always has done, but I believe that the spirit can, as it were, overcome the flesh (I mean that in a completely secular, materialistic way). The need for others - particularly when that need is sexual in nature - is an ugly, maladaptive vestige of our primitive state and better left behind. We're told that we can't argue with nature and that, among other things, the sex instinct cannot be eradicated, but I don't believe in fate; I think everything psychological can be changed with willpower.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 3:57 pm

ShyGirl7 wrote:

In suprised that you're like this. You're usually very positive. What happened? :|

Well I'm still an optimist in general but it's a slow Monday waiting for emails & I have no immediate plans to do anything fun.

Nothing really happened, I just lose confidence in my ability to communicate at all unless I get to see all my friends.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 4:21 pm

Call me as smart or as dumb as you want, I'm some of either but I'm not superior to anyone because of anything I know.

I'm well aware I'm not talking about rational inclinations, I started this thread to figure out how I can articulate myself better without depressing anyone & not to reinforce my isolation.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 4:25 pm

As a guy, I am finding out that every time when I show the least care for someone, the latter abuses it and attempts to treat me as a doormat.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 4:42 pm

Yeah, seconded. I'm a forgiving person but it takes a lot of effort for my friends to live that kind of thing down.

So far I only really know one woman whose shenanigans of this kind I can tolerate & that's because she actually does something about my shyness. Not too many other people ever really touch me.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 4:44 pm

Quote:
I might ask a few more questions, so if you don't want me to ask anymore, just tell me.

Ask away. Worst case I might not answer something because I'm not about burdening others with my own troubles.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 4:54 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cberg wrote:

If I may pipe in as a woman, I'd love to meet or date a single man with ASD who is my age. Unfortunately, every interesting "ASD type" guy I've met is married, gay, in a relationship (or combinations thereof), or considerably younger than myself. I used to be a fairly active person, I went to Uni and had a gainful career for many years, but I never met single ASD guys.

ASD men certainly aren't defective merchandise in the eyes of ASD women (or gay ASD guys, I'd presume).

There’s quite a few asd women who see asd guys as defective merchandise.

How have you been doing, haven’t seen you much

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 5:00 pm

I guess with the exception of my social life I'm pretty good. I skied 10 vertical feet yesterday & my job can be fairly nice.

Not that all the money & adrenaline in the world can really replace someone who knows me. I'm posting this because of her.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 5:04 pm

You seem to care too much for this one, you keep talking about her.

I advice you to think less of her, because you can never know when someone backstabs your trust.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 5:04 pm

cberg wrote:
Quote:

Well looking back I probably did a lot of the common stuff but I'm not someone anyone can understand from one conversation in a café. I'm also pretty much completely discouraged. I'm not sure anything I did in the past 6 years counted as romantic.

I'm a programmer, hacker & a mountain hippie. I don't often meet anyone because I'm quite attached to the people in my life already. I'm trying to be more agreeable towards the few women who know me at all because I see few if any other ways to do that at all.

"I'm not someone anyone can understand from one conversation in a café. " << What does this mean? I'm sorry, I don't understand.

"I'm not sure anything I did in the past 6 years counted as romantic." << Does this mean that in the last six years you haven't "put yourself out there" ? Meaning, does this mean that you haven't attempted to meet women face to face toward any romantic ends?

"I'm a programmer, hacker & a mountain hippie. " There are many women who enjoy programming and many women, especially in Colorado who enjoy the "mountain hippie" lifestyle. I lived in Manitou Springs at the foot of Pikes Peak for about 6-9 months when I was younger. Ideologically, you're also "liberal", wouldn't you agree? There are many women your age in Colorado that share your ideology. That's a good thing. You've posted your picture on WP, and even though I'm a hetero male, I can objectively say that I would assume there women your age that would find you attractive.

"I don't often meet anyone because I'm quite attached to the people in my life already." << Can you elaborate?
What do you mean by this? Or, how does this impede your ability to try to meet women, exactly?

"I'm trying to be more agreeable towards the few women who know me at all because I see few if any other ways to do that at all." << I'm sorry I don't understand what this means.

Last edited by Magna on 04 Feb 2019, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 5:16 pm

sly279 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
cberg wrote:

There’s quite a few asd women who see asd guys as defective merchandise.

How have you been doing, haven’t seen you much

Hi Sly,
I'm doing OK, thanks. I went through a rough time with depression and panic, so I was in shutdown mode for a while. I'm slowly pulling out of it with the support of many WP friends and lots of rest. I hope you are doing alright, too. I'm glad you're still around. You are not defective merchandise, at all!

Hugs,
Is