Page 11 of 26 [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 26  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 1:57 am

blooiejagwa wrote:
My XH n his family had several Mercedes
The mom is v into image n wd bug her H to purchase the latest model
They do the same with tvs i dont know hos many they have it’s in the teens

He sold his Mercedes last year to get a more practical family van tht wd fit fr the kids’ needs

I hope you don't have to deal with such unchecked materialism in your own life. I should point out I'm only asking people here because I have a hard time figuring out what's stylish & humble at the same time.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 2:06 am

sly279 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'll answer as a woman. I'd want my date / boyfriend to have any car so long as he keeps it clean, it doesn't smell like smoke, and he can make the payments without complaining that he's broke all the time. I'm not saying that he should have extra money for my sake, but it's a real turn off when people get themselves in debt to impress others and they spend all their time complaining about a lack of money.

Sly? 8O
What's wrong?! I hope I didn't trigger something! I know you aren't the type to incur debt just to impress people!
Do you have a car issue?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 3:13 am

I can’t afford a car. The ones I could aren’t worth it and I can’t afford maintenance or gas in the long run.
It’s one of the reasons I’m unlovable

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 9:05 am

cberg wrote:
I'm going to find Sly the coolest cheap car he's ever seen. Hell I'll find 25 of those until the price is right, I do that for fun actually. Craigslist :heart:s me.

I have a suggestion on the coolest cheap car: look into early 1980s Porsche 944s. I have seen them as cheap as $500 in running/driving condition. Granted, at that price range it may need cleaned up and serviced soon. They get around 25 mpg depending on how you drive them. One of my friends used to own one (until he wrecked it with his bad driving). He sold the non-running 944 for almost what he paid for it, as a father wanted one to build with his son for high school.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 9:08 am

sly279 wrote:
I can’t afford a car. The ones I could aren’t worth it and I can’t afford maintenance or gas in the long run.

I do not think that is true that you are unlovable, Sly. You just have not met the right woman yet.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 10:36 am

sly279 wrote:

Dude I may have a bunch of stuff you think you need but it's worthless to anyone who actually appreciates me.

If anything, I feel less lovable for being alone when you say I've figured out a lot. I'm alone & there seems to be nothing for it. I am a HACKER, it gets me left alone for months at a time. You really don't want to know how much I've given up just to make my drive to work possible.

I'm about to go spend 8 hours behind 5 LCDs & try to forget that I'll probably be dead before I figure anything out socially. I know the grass is greener in my yard but PLEASE, don't walk a mile in my shoes, I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Last edited by cberg on 13 Feb 2019, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 10:38 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
cberg wrote:
I'm going to find Sly the coolest cheap car he's ever seen. Hell I'll find 25 of those until the price is right, I do that for fun actually. Craigslist :heart:s me.

I have a suggestion on the coolest cheap car: look into early 1980s Porsche 944s. I have seen them as cheap as $500 in running/driving condition. Granted, at that price range it may need cleaned up and serviced soon. They get around 25 mpg depending on how you drive them. One of my friends used to own one (until he wrecked it with his bad driving). He sold the non-running 944 for almost what he paid for it, as a father wanted one to build with his son for high school.

If sly can maintain a bunch of guns, a cheapo Porsche should be a piece of cake.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 11:07 am

cberg wrote:
It is EXACTLY that situation but I have some taste.

I'm guessing the Lebanese ideal would be a Mercedes-Benz?

Yes, correct, or a Ferrari.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 11:31 am

cberg wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:

He sold his Mercedes last year to get a more practical family van tht wd fit fr the kids’ needs

I hope you don't have to deal with such unchecked materialism in your own life. I should point out I'm only asking people here because I have a hard time figuring out what's stylish & humble at the same time.

No we live quite scrupulously

however i did unwittingly become accustomed to what I saw in their family (having lived with them fr years) so that initially after the separation my spending habits became somewhat crazy considering my state of poverty .
As distraction. I think now IM back to normal

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 11:48 am

An 80s VW Golf would be pretty cool from a bangernomics perspective. Cool and maybe cheaper parts and possible to maintain oneself.

From a modern perspective. I don't know what cars Americans are into. If money was no object, I'd probably get a new VW Golf.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 12:12 pm

Hurtloam is probably dead on. I almost bought a black '87 MkII GTI 16v way back when. It had everything, rally lights, crazy stereo, Recaro seats & ice tires.

I'm going to look for those again. :idea: They're brilliant little things.

Piri Alchami
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Feb 2019, 12:16 pm

I'm partial to Japanese cars. I can't afford the premium series, but Honda and Toyota are without doubt some of the best on the market. No car is without issue, but the important aspects of a car--the engine, transmission, and braking components--are quite good in the Honda and Toyota series. I'm sure some of their respective models are better than others--within their own make.

As a personal note, I drive a mid 2000's Honda Civic and my car has just over 220,000 miles on it. The drive-train is still kicking. I have other minor issues with the car, like rust and damaged veneer, but the car still gets me places.

I'll include a link to a pretty neat website where cars are listed by make, model, and year and the common problems they may have...and no, it's not consumer reports. I'm not a sponsor...I don't get paid for this. It's just something I've found in my research for the next car. Hope it helps...if it does.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 12:28 pm

:oops: Thanks but I'm here because I'm a walking encyclopedia of engine codes. I might get the 2002 British made Civic hatchback since it's a lot easier to find in the states than the cooler/cheaper Golf.

I think I'm in the right mindset now to figure out a car eventually but that just means I have to figure out some other style choices.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 1:40 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
cberg wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:

No we live quite scrupulously

however i did unwittingly become accustomed to what I saw in their family (having lived with them fr years) so that initially after the separation my spending habits became somewhat crazy considering my state of poverty .
As distraction. I think now IM back to normal

I know what you mean, at least somewhat. I spent way more impulsively when I was broke simply because that's what money is for anyway - I was quite adept at stretching my budget.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 6:25 pm

cberg wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
cberg wrote:

If sly can maintain a bunch of guns, a cheapo Porsche should be a piece of cake.

Cars are expensive to maintain. They’re money pit.
Guns require cleaning that’s it. Reapply of oil every month or two to keep rust away that’s it. They’ll go 50,000 rounds before needing parts. Which I’ll never shoot in my lifetime.
Cars especially ones I can afford need thousands of dollars of parts. I’m buying lottery tickets every month maybe I’ll win and can get a new car that doesn’t need any maintenance for few years.
My last car was a 94 Corolla. Cost $1700 so near the Max I’m allowed to save, I put 3,000 parts into it over the few years I owned it. The last thing to go wrong would have cost 2,000 or so. Then there’s the 2,400 I paid in insurance I never needed to use lol.
So I spent 7,100 or more on it and got 4 years or less. Mind you I didn’t do most of the maintenance it needed. That would be few thousand more dollars. It needed a lot of work but all cars under $8,000 do. They tend to have 300,000 miles, been poorly maintained and need lots of major parts replaced, non reliable.
Cars are a middle class and up luxury item.
No one makes a car for the masses anymore.
A basic good care today cost $18,000 for a basic Toyota Corolla.
It’d be nice to win lottery

If I won a lot I’d get a Porsche 911 turbo for 250,000

Last edited by sly279 on 13 Feb 2019, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 6:27 pm

hurtloam wrote:
An 80s VW Golf would be pretty cool from a bangernomics perspective. Cool and maybe cheaper parts and possible to maintain oneself.

From a modern perspective. I don't know what cars Americans are into. If money was no object, I'd probably get a new VW Golf.

Stay away from old vw cars. They over complicate their cars and they use special fluids that are hard to get now and even when the car was new.
Unless it’s a old air cooled VW beatle which are super simple but limited and not super comfortable