[ POLL ] Advantages to Not Dating: Agree or Disagree?

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do You Agree or Disagree With the Listed Advantages?
Completely Agree. 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
Mostly Agree. 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Agree & Disagree, Half & Half. 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Mostly Disagree. 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
Completely Disagree. 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 11:57 am

I know I've put up with dysfunctional relationships.....but at least there came a time when it was "the last straw." The "straw that broke the camel's back."

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 12:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Much of the problems occur when there is the attempt to deny personal autonomy to partners. Attempts power-trips. One has to learn the signs, and nip them in the bud---even at the risk of losing the relationship.

Exactly. The ideal relationship is one between independent (autonomous) partners, but the purpose of dating is contrary to that ideal.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 12:11 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
This is one of those false dichotomies that Aspies are prone to. The issue is not, be dateless and be free of accusations, or date but get manipulated. It's date people who don't do that s**t in the first place.

Much of the problems are inherent to dating itself, and so cannot be fixed by selecting more appropriate people to date. In fact, dating assumes you are meeting complete strangers, which means you don't know who you will date. If you hang out with people you already know because you like them and want something more, you are not dating.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 12:47 pm

NOTE TO ALL: The original list has grown by 10 items. Please re-read the list and re-cast your vote (if needed).

Thank you.

Uri
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2019, 1:04 pm

I couldn't get a date even if I wanted to. I'm too ugly for that and the girls that I really really like will never like me back.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 1:06 pm

1. You are free from becoming another victim of "Date Rape". ✅

4. You are free from being body-shamed by your date. ✅

5. You are free from being criticized by your date for your choice of venue. ✅

6. You are free from being criticized by your date for your clothing, hairstyle, or makeup. ✅ 100%

7. You are free from being criticized by your date for your table manners. (Never an issue)

11. You are free from being pressured by your date to join his or her religion.
(Not an issue unless you count "Psychopathy", "crime", "addiction" as religions.)

23. You are free from having to discuss philosophies, politics, or religious doctrines that are not yours. ✅

26. You are free from having to go through all of the work and worry to get ready for the date, only to have a miserable time with your date. ✅

39. You are free from having to watch your date play with his or her smartphone. ✅

I'm not sure which other new question I missed, because I only saw 9.
I answered the other 40 previously.

I honestly don't think dating is hopeless, and I do believe in love. I've had a few good experiences dating as well, but I'm just answering the question as stated.

Others to consider:
51. You won't have to watch them ogle other people during your date, or have them tell you which other people they're attracted to in the room by squeezing your hand or overtly pointing.

52. You are free from watching them flirt with those other people, in your face.

53. You are free from them walking away to attend to some other matter, and leave you sitting alone or with strangers for lengthy periods of time.

54. You are free from being told that their life history wasn't exactly true, as stated.

55. You don't have that awkward moment when they tell you they have a different sexual orientation than yours, and that they are using you as a cover to avoid embarrassment for their orientation.

56. You won't receive a chocolate bar with an orange price sticker on it, for your 30th birthday. :roll:
When you don't even like chocolate.

You won't have to seek or pay for a couple's therapist while together, or a personal therapist when you break up.

57. You won't read about your dates, flaws or ... "special talents" ... online.

58. You won't damage your credit rating because of someone else's choices.

59. You can sleep soundly not ruminating about everything you said and did, or they said and did.

60. You can spend more time with your pets.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 2:07 pm

rdos wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
This is one of those false dichotomies that Aspies are prone to. The issue is not, be dateless and be free of accusations, or date but get manipulated. It's date people who don't do that s**t in the first place.

Much of the problems are inherent to dating itself, and so cannot be fixed by selecting more appropriate people to date. In fact, dating assumes you are meeting complete strangers, which means you don't know who you will date. If you hang out with people you already know because you like them and want something more, you are not dating.

Disagree with the complete strangers thing. Some dating is that, but it's entirely possible to start going out with someone you know a bit from school, work, church, or community.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 2:12 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
rdos wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

Disagree with the complete strangers thing. Some dating is that, but it's entirely possible to start going out with someone you know a bit from school, work, church, or community.

I knew my dates before dating them. I knew them from school, and work, and community. They seemed like nice people for the first few dates / months etc., but these are things that unfolded over time. Clearly, I'm not with those people any more.
There are likely 40 - 50 reasons why people "should" date, which are positive. That could be a different thread if someone wants to start it.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 2:39 pm

Watch Cruel Intentions, the 1999 movie.

You don't have to date to fall in love. You can just meet someone.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 3:14 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
rdos wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

I knew my dates before dating them. I knew them from school, and work, and community. They seemed like nice people for the first few dates / months etc., but these are things that unfolded over time. Clearly, I'm not with those people any more.
There are likely 40 - 50 reasons why people "should" date, which are positive. That could be a different thread if someone wants to start it.

I agree, with BeaArthur on this one...its really not a fair question or a logical dichotomy. A person can date or not, and still be accused of any kind of inappropriate behavior.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 3:17 pm

DanielW wrote:
... A person can date or not, and still be accused of any kind of inappropriate behavior.
Probably, but the specific kinds of problems associated only with dating are much less likely to occur if you don't date.

ShyGirl7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2019, 3:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know I've put up with dysfunctional relationships.....but at least there came a time when it was "the last straw." The "straw that broke the camel's back."

By dysfunctional, you mean an abusive relationship?

ShyGirl7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2019, 3:21 pm

Uri wrote:
I couldn't get a date even if I wanted to. I'm too ugly for that and the girls that I really really like will never like me back.

Women date and marry ugly men all the time.

Next time you're at Walmart - take one look around.

You'll spot several ugly men coupled with beautiful women.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 6:34 pm

You can avoid these potential negatives by never dating, but by the same token you can avoid a lot of them by ending up in a stable relationship too, which is infinitely more preferable.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2019, 2:28 am

I just realized that the main point of these "benefits" are just to make single people feel better, since most of them are really rather illogical. I can make a list of reasons why it would be a good idea to not go out to eat at a restaurant, and fill it with crap like "won't get in a car accident on the way there" or "won't have to worry about getting stabbed by a crazy person".

I'm sure there are benefits to being single, but most of these are not legitimate ones.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2019, 4:34 am

Fnord wrote:
NOTE TO ALL: The original list has grown by 10 items. Please re-read the list and re-cast your vote (if needed).

Thank you.

What? Witchcraft! He used Witchcraft! He sold his soul to the devil!