I just got my article on my military position published

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Marine83
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Feb 2019, 10:33 pm

I just got my article about the right of autistics to join the military in The Mighty. Here is the link if you want to read it: https://themighty.com/2019/01/autism-military-service/
I am also currently working on my next article and thinking about sending it to other papers but this is still exciting. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 4:47 am

Fantastic

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Marine83
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Feb 2019, 11:09 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fantastic

Thank you, I am also hoping to get this published in more papers as well as make allies and publish more material

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 11:12 pm

Congratulations! :D

Marine83
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Feb 2019, 6:25 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Congratulations! :D

Thank you, I'm always looking for more support so can you please sign, share and if possible donate to my petition?https://www.change.org/p/department-of-defense-high-functioning-autistics-should-be-allowed-in-the-military

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2019, 8:54 pm

Excellent.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 10:35 am

Congrats, i think it should be up to the individual and not a generic ban. I for one wasn't very interested in "playing with guns" in the forest (sure it can be fun to squeeze off a few rounds) but i did appreciate the first aid/trauma training and the fire suppression training (fire fighting) i got as part of a civilian course back in 2014 and 2015.

I guess the generals were worried that in a war, we civilian employees would have a difficulty knowing what part of a gun that was the dangerous side :roll:

If you get a good manager and feel like you fit like a cog in a machine, then great, i supposed you could have a career in the uniform wearing part of the armed forces. If you have sensory issues, problems with being touched etc, then maybe the uniform part of the military isn't for you.

But there are other jobs that you can do pretty well in, there are positions in IT, Security services, Intelligence, Administration that usually don't come with a requirement of running around with a gun and doing whatever they tell you to do.

I live in Sweden btw, so do not assume that i'm talking about your country.

Marine83
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Feb 2019, 12:46 am

Ichinin wrote:
Congrats, i think it should be up to the individual and not a generic ban. I for one wasn't very interested in "playing with guns" in the forest (sure it can be fun to squeeze off a few rounds) but i did appreciate the first aid/trauma training and the fire suppression training (fire fighting) i got as part of a civilian course back in 2014 and 2015.

I guess the generals were worried that in a war, we civilian employees would have a difficulty knowing what part of a gun that was the dangerous side :roll:

If you get a good manager and feel like you fit like a cog in a machine, then great, i supposed you could have a career in the uniform wearing part of the armed forces. If you have sensory issues, problems with being touched etc, then maybe the uniform part of the military isn't for you.

But there are other jobs that you can do pretty well in, there are positions in IT, Security services, Intelligence, Administration that usually don't come with a requirement of running around with a gun and doing whatever they tell you to do.

I live in Sweden btw, so do not assume that i'm talking about your country.

Thank you for your support, and I actually have no problem with being touched and I haven't had a lot of sensory issues since middle school.

I hope to be a pilot, but I would also be happy as an armor, artillery or infantryman.

off topic, but wasn't the last time Sweden was at war in the time of Napoleon