Anyone here from the Southern United States?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2019, 9:36 pm

Just wondering anyone here with a southern accent?

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 9:39 pm

From South Eastern United States, but I don't have an accent.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 6:16 am

neptunekh wrote:
Just wondering anyone here with a southern accent?

Yup.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 9:29 am

I don't think a Western Maryland accent counts. But I love Southern culture. I plan to learn Round Peak style fiddle, which I believe is from North Carolina.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 12:02 pm

Im Georgia grown so Ive got a little accent, but my family is from the north so its pretty mild. Comes out when Im around others with an accent or talking about certain subjects.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 1:50 pm

No, but I have family living in the South.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 12:22 pm

Yes, I grew up in one of the 14 southern U.S. states though, I don't necessarily have an accent as, I've not spent as much time around persons with such a heavy serving or such as, well I learned at an early age to properly enunciate my words;therefore, my accent is not as defined.

Oh, and welcome to WrongPlanet there is coffee & donuts in the breakroom

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 8:11 pm

longshot wrote:
Yes, I grew up in one of the 14 southern U.S. states though, I don't necessarily have an accent as, I've not spent as much time around persons with such a heavy serving or such as, well I learned at an early age to properly enunciate my words;therefore, my accent is not as defined.

Whoa wait since when is the south 14 states?! Lmao

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 11:18 pm

I'm from Texas, but no Southern accent. In fact, I sound almost Midwestern.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 12:13 pm

graceksjp wrote:
longshot wrote:

Whoa wait since when is the south 14 states?! Lmao

Because Grace, there are 14 states that make up what is known as the South or Southern U.S. for that matter.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 12:42 pm

...It's occurred to me that " The South ", in U.S. terms, is the " Southeast "... Obviously, the description was formed before the U.S. expanded West, when it was " The South '.
Texas is the westernmost-extending " Southern " state.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 9:06 pm

Huh. I looked them up. I honestly never even thought about Texas being Southern. The 'South' to me is like, my state and the ones that touch it lol. Plus like three others. Sometimes. Depends on the context of the conversation.
Considering accents I think some states HAVE to be cut. Texans have 'Texas accents' right? And even large parts of Florida dont have a typical 'southern accent'. West Virginia (psh barely southern) has a west virginian accent.

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2019, 2:48 pm

I'm in Alabama but no southern accent.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:29 pm

...Well, to be blunt...one of my rule-of-thumb definitions for " the South " is " was it a slave state in 1865? ". Texas was.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:43 pm

Texas is neither a southern state nor a western state nor even a midwestern state. Texas is just Texas. And it's big enough to get away with it.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 1:16 am

...I meant " 1861 " above, not " 1865 ". 1865. I will still stand by that as one of .g definitions of " The South ".
Of course, there's the question of Oklahoma :mrgreen: ...
My mother's family were from East Texas - perhaps more " the South " then other parts of tbeo e Star State - and we visited them often when I was young, at least a couple weeks e ery summer, gernate Christmases.

..Well, to be blunt...one of my rule-of-thumb definitions for " the South " is " was it a slave state in 1865? ". Texas was.[/quote]