Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AwkwardFlower
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Feb 2019, 5:08 pm

They act like I'm invisble they dont make eye contact with me. I could be right in front of them and they'll never look my way and talk to the other coworker even when they have a question i know the answer to they dont look my way.

I dont know what I did wrong. I've tried making small talk but they seem bothered by my existence

How is it that NTs can always tell when you're the odd one? No matter how hard you try to emulate their "normal" behavior.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 11:32 pm

How do you usually act around them when they do this?

I feel like when people are intentionally excluding me I try to ignore and avoid them too. I think if they are actively excluding me then trying to interact with them would just give them more power.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 11:57 pm

This unfortunately could be a sign that they think you're doing a poor job. A lot of my co workers aren't exactly friendly with me, and I found out the other day that they have told the manager about things I've done.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 2:27 pm

A new employee at my job (just before I retired) said something negative about me to my boss, who called me on the carpet for being "rude." (I never found out what that referred to.) After that experience, do you think I tried to be friendly with her? Certainly not! I had the minimal contact necessary to do my job and never anything more. I know this new employee tried to fit in there, but most other people ended up being as aloof with her as I was. Eventually she got fired and put us all out of our misery.

Is it possible something you have done is making co-workers avoid you? I'm not saying that is the case, but it might be helpful to review your past behaviors.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 4:53 pm

I've been the odd one out at almost every job I've ever had. Don't let it get you down. You're there to earn money, not be bosom buddies. I'd look around for a nice, kind person you can be friends with (who also keeps to themselves) and just maintain a cool distance from everyone else. No need to try to pretend to be anything NT-like because, as one poster said, that just gives them more power over you. In fact, I would be even more inscrutable, keep others a little bit on edge. It will make them respect you more.

Do you work in a corporate job? People can be quite aloof in that sector. Don't take it to heart - it's probably more about the job they're doing than anything you've done.