Anyone else get anxiety spending big amounts of money?

Page 1 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 1:04 am

sly279 wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
But I thought you already had several guns. What is the point of one more?

Guns are all different.
The one I’ve wanted forever
Shoots 45acp. Was USA military sidearm from ww1 until desert storm.
Full steel, hammer fired single stack.

The other handguns I own are glocks
Polymer frame, Striker fired, double stack 9mm pistols.
They operate differently.

The 1911 is the grandad of simi auto handguns.

I would love to own a Colt 1911. It's a classic like a piece of functional art with a rich history.

I would imagine they have excellent resale value.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 1:25 am

Well I don't like to do that if I don't have money saved up for it, for now I am saving up for an Xbox one X, I got two hundred dollars in christmas money to put towards it but I need another 100 or 200 at least. Its close to time to my playstation 3 has been starting to function worse than it did and not sure how much longer it has. Then after that I will start saving up for a new laptop computer, because mine is starting to have issues which does not help with playing league of legends.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 1:27 am

^ Is there a purple version of that gun? That would actually be kind of cool.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 1:55 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I don't like to do that if I don't have money saved up for it, for now I am saving up for an Xbox one X, I got two hundred dollars in christmas money to put towards it but I need another 100 or 200 at least. Its close to time to my playstation 3 has been starting to function worse than it did and not sure how much longer it has. Then after that I will start saving up for a new laptop computer, because mine is starting to have issues which does not help with playing league of legends.

I’m getting tax return and I have 1,200 from social security back pay for taking too much money last year. Neither is part of my savings, just money I got :) I put back about 1,600 every year but I can only technically keep 2,000 as you know too due to ssi. So I have to spend the rest.
One benifit to working is the tax returns, hope you can find a part time job eventually so you can make little extra :)
Why not get PS4? Is there a Xbox game you want?

I’m sure there’s some out there they actually make quite a few purple,pink, etc guns for women. They make tan, blue and red for men. I quite like tan, my rifle and Glock are tan.

Last one comes in many female colors as it’s quite popular with women.

I like this color but it’s considered for women only :(

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 2:14 am

EzraS wrote:
sly279 wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
But I thought you already had several guns. What is the point of one more?

Guns are all different.
The one I’ve wanted forever
Shoots 45acp. Was USA military sidearm from ww1 until desert storm.
Full steel, hammer fired single stack.

The other handguns I own are glocks
Polymer frame, Striker fired, double stack 9mm pistols.
They operate differently.

The 1911 is the grandad of simi auto handguns.

I would love to own a Colt 1911. It's a classic like a piece of functional art with a rich history.

I would imagine they have excellent resale value.

Yeah it’s a piece of art. Last design browning finished before he died.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 2:49 am

Kind of, yeah. Makes me triple-check everything, and I'm still quite on-edge for a while after.

What brand of 1911 you getting? I've fired a few variants, and all the mid-to-low end ones have been jam-o-matics. Good, classy feel to them, tho.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 2:53 am

I want one of those and a Colt SAA with a 5 1/2" barrel.

Despite my coordination disorder I'm a good marksman. I mainly use a Ruger Mark III.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 3:28 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Kind of, yeah. Makes me triple-check everything, and I'm still quite on-edge for a while after.

What brand of 1911 you getting? I've fired a few variants, and all the mid-to-low end ones have been jam-o-matics. Good, classy feel to them, tho.

Me too. And I have dreams about it.

It’s a colt. So a real 1911 as purist say.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 3:34 am

EzraS wrote:
I want one of those and a Colt SAA with a 5 1/2" barrel.

Despite my coordination disorder I'm a good marksman. I mainly use a Ruger Mark III.

The colt SSA run $1800 and up I believe.
You can get a Ruger copy for $550ish. I’m not a revolver guy.

I’m an ok shot for how often I get to shoot. I make have to look into going to the range and paying their ridiculous prices for ammo. I could save up maybe and go every few months or so. There’s a bus that goes near it then I’d have to walk half mile. I’ll just put my handguns in my backpack, legally concealed. Otherwise I have to wait until someone takes me.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 5:46 am

We're closing on a house next week, and yes; the amount of money on the table (and the remodeling shopping list) is freaking me out a bit.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 5:49 am

Nope, not at all. That's because if I buy something really expensive I only do so after thinking it through long and hard if I actually need/want it or not, so when I do decide to buy something I know it's the right thing to do. Then again, if I ever get to the point where I can get a loan and will be able to buy my own place then that will probably make me anxious since that's way more money than I've ever spent on anything I now consider big.

Buying small things actually causes me more anxiety and trouble because I often buy them out of impulse. I mean a euro or two isn't much even with my small income, but if I buy cheap stuff (mostly something eatable) like that a few times a week it'll make a big sum in a year. And that's not okay... just yesterday I went to McDonalds, which was fine since I had no time to go home yet had to eat between my work and lessons, but I was supposed to only buy a chicken wrap yet I also bought some kind of cheese bites. That was two euros extra, which isn't much, but when it happens often... it sucks.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 5:58 am

Piobaire wrote:
We're closing on a house next week, and yes; the amount of money on the table (and the remodeling shopping list) is freaking me out a bit.

I don’t think I could ever buy a house even if I won the lottery. I’d just rent. Too much anxiety, likewise I’d probably of actually buy a Porsche

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 6:06 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Nope, not at all. That's because if I buy something really expensive I only do so after thinking it through long and hard if I actually need/want it or not, so when I do decide to buy something I know it's the right thing to do. Then again, if I ever get to the point where I can get a loan and will be able to buy my own place then that will probably make me anxious since that's way more money than I've ever spent on anything I now consider big.

Buying small things actually causes me more anxiety and trouble because I often buy them out of impulse. I mean a euro or two isn't much even with my small income, but if I buy cheap stuff (mostly something eatable) like that a few times a week it'll make a big sum in a year. And that's not okay... just yesterday I went to McDonalds, which was fine since I had no time to go home yet had to eat between my work and lessons, but I was supposed to only buy a chicken wrap yet I also bought some kind of cheese bites. That was two euros extra, which isn't much, but when it happens often... it sucks.

Yes I have that issue I spend too mich on fast food or snacks.
I need to leave my card at home except for pre planned grocery trips. However that doesn’t prevent me from buying pizza delivery(atleast they now charge $7 to deliver and such I don’t do it)
I’ve also gained weight from it.
When I didn’t have money I didn’t do this, having extra leads me to spending it on small stuff like dog treats or cookies and jerky. $17 pizza here and there(rather terrible as that’s half my week food budget. And it could provided days of food) last few months I’ve had extra $250 a month but that’s ending and I lost $200 a month from. Work too :( so i have to get the monthly spending under control. It’s amazing how $300 goes by from bunch of small things. I think I’ll cancel hbo until next season of the shows come.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 6:18 am

sly279 wrote:
I’m getting my tax return and want to buy something with it but makes me anxious

See this is an attitude I don't understand. You've mentioned before that you're poor and yet when you do get a nice wad of cash, your first instinct is to spend it, even without having something in mind to spend it on. That's how you stay poor.

Me, I'm on pretty close to min wage too but full-time instead of part-time, and I earn $650 a week, which of course doesn't go as far in Australia as it does in the US. In any case, I've been working less than a year and have committed to saving 10% of my income. In doing so, I've accumulated over $2,500 in my savings account and like 400 in the hybrid account I recently started in a bid to save even more money.

If I were you, especially the way you describe your situation, I'd be putting that money away for safe keeping, at the very least until you have something in mind that you'd like to buy.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 6:52 am

sly279 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I get anxiety over just spending artificial currency in my video game.

Same I tend to stock pile huge amounts of money and resources in games, way more then others.

Thirded.

I can relate to being anxious about spending a big amount. But if that gun is something you have wanted for 17 years and you now have the chance, and you can afford it, I'd say go for it! Haven't you earned it after all that time of wanting it? :)

It's okay to grant yourself something you truly covet once in a while, especially when it is something you really dream of, something that you will find a lot of joy in. If people always were to wait for a perfect opportunity, it might not ever come. Allowing oneself to have some fun is important IMO. Live a little.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 6:55 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
sly279 wrote:
I’m getting my tax return and want to buy something with it but makes me anxious

See this is an attitude I don't understand. You've mentioned before that you're poor and yet when you do get a nice wad of cash, your first instinct is to spend it, even without having something in mind to spend it on. That's how you stay poor.

Me, I'm on pretty close to min wage too but full-time instead of part-time, and I earn $650 a week, which of course doesn't go as far in Australia as it does in the US. In any case, I've been working less than a year and have committed to saving 10% of my income. In doing so, I've accumulated over $2,500 in my savings account and like 400 in the hybrid account I recently started in a bid to save even more money.

If I were you, especially the way you describe your situation, I'd be putting that money away for safe keeping, at the very least until you have something in mind that you'd like to buy.

Yes, this would be my instinct. I always make sure I have a few thousand saved up for emergencies. If OP spends $1,000 (or whatever it was) on a gun and his boiler breaks down the next week, he'll be in trouble.