Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 5:18 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
It’s hard to be myself when I keep trying on identities. If I see a goth girl on instagram I want to be her and it’s same thing with girly girls, preppy girls, pop star girls and female rockstars.

I don’t know who I am. I’ve been put under a radar for just about everything I screw up on and my family tries to tell me who I am. My mom sees me in men’s band tees and boots that aren’t UGGs or designer. This has been going on since 7th grade. My brother thinks I’m manly.

Breast cancer runs in my dad’s side of the family. If I lose my D cups I won’t be feminine anymore. My mom tells me that men like “powerful” women. They don’t like super glitzy fashionistas. I call bull crap on that.

I've tried out different looks too but I always seemed to miss the mark and look odd. I think also what actually

appealed to me about the looks was the fact that they fit together and fitted that person. I want my own look

that suits me, but I struggle to find any of the components in the shops even though my look is quite simple and

I'm not good at putting things together and everything keeps changing :( (not my look, the things in the shops)

I don't know why you'd want people to think you are ditsy though, I am almost insanely desperate for people to

think I'm clever.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 7:17 am

It may help if you learn how to alter clothes to fit. On the American "What Not to Wear" show participants sometimes pay a lot of alterations. Some styles are designed for a particular body shape or size. Rather than start with a particular look, a designer may study the body first, and then decide what will look good on it. Skin tone will affect how well different colors look.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Mar 2019, 7:34 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
It’s hard to be myself when I keep trying on identities. If I see a goth girl on instagram I want to be her and it’s same thing with girly girls, preppy girls, pop star girls and female rockstars.

I don’t know who I am. I’ve been put under a radar for just about everything I screw up on and my family tries to tell me who I am. My mom sees me in men’s band tees and boots that aren’t UGGs or designer. This has been going on since 7th grade. My brother thinks I’m manly.

Breast cancer runs in my dad’s side of the family. If I lose my D cups I won’t be feminine anymore. My mom tells me that men like “powerful” women. They don’t like super glitzy fashionistas. I call bull crap on that.

I've tried out different looks too but I always seemed to miss the mark and look odd. I think also what actually

appealed to me about the looks was the fact that they fit together and fitted that person. I want my own look

that suits me, but I struggle to find any of the components in the shops even though my look is quite simple and

I'm not good at putting things together and everything keeps changing :( (not my look, the things in the shops)

I don't know why you'd want people to think you are ditsy though, I am almost insanely desperate for people to

think I'm clever.

I still mourn my favorite almost-all-female forum that died after the f*c*book era came :(
There was a closed section where we discussed such things with photos of us included. This plus my tendency to "nerd into" topics made me learn a lot about what and what not to wear.
Actually, I ended up with checked shirts and trekking pants but it's my informed choice - and I'm careful to choose right colors for my slightly unusual natural skin tone.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 7:45 am

BTDT wrote:
It may help if you learn how to alter clothes to fit. On the American "What Not to Wear" show participants sometimes pay a lot of alterations. Some styles are designed for a particular body shape or size. Rather than start with a particular look, a designer may study the body first, and then decide what will look good on it. Skin tone will affect how well different colors look.

I do wish I had learnt dress making as I think it would have saved me a lot of frustration over the years although I'd

still have the problem of getting the right materiel. I sort of know the rules of what is supposed to suit me due to

programs like that but I don't actually like the clothes that are supposed to suit me because they make me look like

someone else.

little gator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2019, 8:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't dig "ditzy" women myself. It irritates me when women "dumb down" to seem attractive to men.

when I was about 15 my sister(very much into the ditzy hting) wanred me that if I didnt' stop reading os much, boys would think I was smart. I was smart. Why would I want anyone to think I wasn't?

I wanted a boyfriedn, but not one who wanted me ot be dumb.

and i am not girly. I wear what's comfy, which is never dresses, skirts, or pantyhose. Makeup and jewelry makes me miserable. I am obese, and owrk at controlling that, but it doesn't bothe rme all the time. I feel as womanly as anyone else.

It may not be possible for you to change anything, but it's your feeligns baout it that borther you, not how you look or act.

working on getting diagnosed either way

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 10:59 am

Alterity wrote:
I agree with TUF, these views you have about what is womanly and feminine is pretty sexist.

Skin problems aren't subject to a gender, and having them doesn't make you more or less of a guy or female. Heck even cats can get acne. My hormones still find it prevalent to give me break outs at 31 but it's crap to do with how womanly I am. I just have to deal with them. Btw, people with oily skin are less likely to have as many wrinkles as they age :wink:

If you have to force to be be a certain way that is contrary to how you feel, it's a pretty good indicator that you really shouldn't do it. Besides being insincere it makes it so that you are denying who you are. If you enjoy dressing up, wearing makeup and being prissy then that's fine, if you don't enjoy it then that's fine too! You are you, if you feel best in a t-shirt and pants then that is your brand of female and there is nothing wrong with it.

There are many types of people and for that reason they like many different kinds of people. Some guys like strong women, some like goth, some like alternative/hippy types, some guys want arm candy so they will be willing to put up with her high maintenance, but other guys will run the other direction from that.

Media and fashion culture like to tell people what you should be and look like but its crap. It's only one brand of person and frankly it's also pretty fake and superficial. It might be nice to dream about pretty things but that's all it is; things with no substance. That's all you will generally see on Instagram, its an image, an idea but that's all. You can make the cover a book look as pretty as you want but it doesn't mean much if the pages are blank.

Figure out what you like, who you want to be that isn't based on images but with how it makes you feel. It will feel so much better when someone likes you for that person than it ever would if they were liking you for you upholding those pretenses. Being true to yourself, not letting other define you, and valuing who you are inside, THAT is how a bada$$ woman does things.

I’ve been physically compared to a man for years. My self esteem and body image is permanently damaged. I go back and forth between wanting to be ditzy and wanting to be a guy’s accessory and wanting to be truly happy and label free.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Mar 2019, 11:41 am

I’ve been physically compared to a man for years. My self esteem and body image is permanently damaged. I go back and forth between wanting to be ditzy and wanting to be a guy’s accessory and wanting to be truly happy and label free.

"Truly happy and label free" sounds better for me...
While ditzy is not really a thing in my culture, I've also had tried a lot of different roles before I found a niche I feel good in.
Some random people said "dude" or "sir" to me even after I grew long hair and wore relatively elegant clothes.
I had periods of jewellery and hairdos and periods free of them.
But I also found different styles of feminity. Strong, modest, motherly. That fits me better than Barbie style and it seems there are guys who find it attractive.

Are you the mask wearing female type Aspie? Exploring what is behind your mask is an effort but it's also an adventure. Inventing your social persona so it fits your inner self is a hard but fascinating work.

My best to you :heart:

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 3:58 pm

magz wrote:

"Truly happy and label free" sounds better for me...
While ditzy is not really a thing in my culture, I've also had tried a lot of different roles before I found a niche I feel good in.
Some random people said "dude" or "sir" to me even after I grew long hair and wore relatively elegant clothes.
I had periods of jewellery and hairdos and periods free of them.
But I also found different styles of feminity. Strong, modest, motherly. That fits me better than Barbie style and it seems there are guys who find it attractive.

Are you the mask wearing female type Aspie? Exploring what is behind your mask is an effort but it's also an adventure. Inventing your social persona so it fits your inner self is a hard but fascinating work.

My best to you :heart:

If I wore a mask I would be the gawky teenager type which is a stereotypical female on the spectrum. I grew up loving makeup and cute and pretty things. I just wish I could be myself and like cute and pretty things without the ditzy piece.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Mar 2019, 4:07 pm

I just wish I could be myself and like cute and pretty things without the ditzy piece.

Why can't you?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 4:09 pm

Yes, dressing "cute and pretty" isn't mutually exclusive from being smart and powerful.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 5:25 pm

magz wrote:
I just wish I could be myself and like cute and pretty things without the ditzy piece.

Why can't you?

I know I can. I just don’t believe in myself enough I guess.

little gator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2019, 6:35 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx I've never heard of anyone thinking ditzy is a good hting. Caling someone a ditz is a putdown.How do you define it?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 6:44 pm

Watch Captain Marvel. Don't limit yourself with someone else's rules.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 7:05 pm

magz wrote:

Why can't you?

I know I can. I just don’t believe in myself enough I guess.

Be who you want to be. If it doesn't stop Trans women from dressing as they feel even though they are sporting beard stubble, then don't let the fact others compare your body type to a man's stop you. We all have different shapes and it is very discouraging when others put down how we are. But remember that depending on the decade or where you are in the world what is defined as a a feminine body type changes. Just because some people have a certain idea about one doesn't mean there aren't others who would find your physic beautiful.

I really don't understand this piece of needing to me ditzy in order to like and wear pretty things?? I have never seen that as a desirable trait to anyone - except to those that feel a need to always be the 'smart one'. As little gator said, I've only seen anyone being called a ditz as a putdown.

If you do like cute and pretty things, why not take some time into looking into how to dress your body so that you will have a womanly (by your idea) appearance? Different clothes can do a lot to change one's appearance and change the way eyes may see proportions.

little gator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2019, 9:26 am

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ditzy

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 8:04 pm

Yet another thread on WP posted by a male about how men have it soooo much worse than women do, and all the talk about rape and sexual harassment and dangerous men are to women are greatly exaggerated. :roll:

Men don't have to worry anywhere near as much as being attacked as women do. There are many countries in the world where women are much more likely to be harassed, raped or killed. The Canadian government has warnings specifically for women who are planning to travel, and it said that in many cultures the men don't think what they're doing is wrong at all and that all women from Canada and the US are promiscuous and flirtatious. Probably from seeing stupid American movies and media. :x

And if a woman *is* promiscuous, she's a s**t. If she doesn't want sex at all, she's a prude. You cannot win.