We Need to Stop Calling it "Political Correctness"

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 8:11 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
AspE wrote:
Let's just rename it Christian Supremecy.

What exactly is the connection between Christianity and political correctness?

In essence, most modern anti-political correctness efforts represent the promotion of patriarchal Christian dominionist values. It's not that they object to controlling thought with language, it's just not the kind of thought they like. :skull:

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 9:03 am

AspE wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
AspE wrote:

In essence, most modern anti-political correctness efforts represent the promotion of patriarchal Christian dominionist values. It's not that they object to controlling thought with language, it's just not the kind of thought they like. :skull:

Hmm, do you have polls that suggest that? Seems more that anyone against controlling free speech would be against political correctness. I believe most people, regardless of political views(Right/Left) would be strongly against political correctness. Political correctness is driven by mostly far leftists, which is a form of policing by the activists themselves and proves just how bad the idea of handing that right to the government would be. Anyone who says something they don't like results in political outcry. Which is the nature of politics, it's important to voice opinion, but they honestly take it to a harsh degree, anyone who says something we don't like, we will demand they stand down and get fired. And it's generally a minority group doing this. Like forced diversity greatly affecting tech companies for example. Any company that doesn't discriminate, doesn't choose skill level over just trying to make an equally proportionate work force, is threatened and typically fold against the activists demands. I most people are against discrimination, including the activists that set out to force diversity. Yet it's very obvious they are't connecting the dots to see that they are in fact forcing discrimination. (Any unbalanced diversity 'must' be the result of discrimination, completely ridiculous thoughts).

It makes me think of the video I watched about intelligent people reproduce at a much lower rate than people with lower IQ. Basically, we are headed towards a scenario I've seen in a movie, where the entirety of humans have been dramatically dumbed down.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 9:16 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
AspE wrote:
There is none, except among those Christians who refuse to call out each other for hypocrisy out of fear of being called out for their own hypocrisy.

When they say, "He's having a crisis of faith", it usually means something like "He's embezzled from his employer while cheating on his wife."

When they say, "She's chemically dependent", it usually means something like "She's addicted to alcohol and/or drugs."

When they say, "He has boundary issues", it usually means something like "He's handsy - a grabber and a groper."

When they say, "She's a little too friendly.", it usually means something like "She's promiscuous."

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 10:32 am

Crimadella wrote:
Hmm, do you have polls that suggest that? Seems more that anyone against controlling free speech would be against political correctness.

I'm against the government controlling speech. Persuading people to alter their speech for a reason is also free speech. No one is forced to comply. The only enforcement mechanism is public opinion. Do what you want, but I'm free to think you are either being clever or being rude about what you said. It's fine to ridicule people for taking things too seriously also.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 10:45 am

I don't think we need to replace political correctness. It does the job, that's why it's not just plain correctness. And why mob justice or social justice are not just justice. They're neither correct or justice. I've never seen anything described as social justice that's a good thing.

We have words like wrongthink which again are the opposite of their literal wording. SJW, white knight, etc. follow the same thought process. I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now. There's a powerful level of understanding contained within these words to those who understand their meaning.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 10:51 am

AspE wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
AspE wrote:

"Christian dominionist values": Controlling thought based on a religious doctrine or hierarchy.

"Political Correctness": Controlling thought based on secular doctrine or hierarchy.

Meh, tomato to-mah-to.....

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 11:04 am

AspE wrote:
Crimadella wrote:
Hmm, do you have polls that suggest that? Seems more that anyone against controlling free speech would be against political correctness.

I'm against the government controlling speech. Persuading people to alter their speech for a reason is also free speech. No one is forced to comply. The only enforcement mechanism is public opinion. Do what you want, but I'm free to think you are either being clever or being rude about what you said. It's fine to ridicule people for taking things too seriously also.

I wasn't suggesting you are against free speech, I already know you aren't, you have specifically expressed that to me already. My point is these companies don't fold by popular opinion, they fold out of fear because a minority makes a huge fuss. A minority in a country with 350 million people can appear to be a strong force to be reckoned with. If the company were to actually do a huge poll, they would find that the majority of people are against forced diversity/discrimination. They don't have to fold to the demands but but I have heard they often do fold(the huge google issue with James Damore exposed this)

Example: 1% of 350 million people is 35 million people, I doubt there are even 350,000 people people protesting these so called issues which is 0.001%.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 11:52 am

Ever since Donald Trump started complaining about political correctness, I have more respect for it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 5:53 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Ever since Donald Trump started complaining about political correctness, I have more respect for it.

I have no more respect for it.

I do blame him and his phenomenon for acting as an accelerant to an already existing and worsening problem.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 6:06 pm

BeaArthur wrote:

A political position doesn't become justified based on who does - or indeed doesn't - hold it. Frankly, I think it's dangerous for people who think otherwise to be allowed to vote. I say all this as a committed opponent of Trump.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 6:08 pm

AspE wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
AspE wrote:

Is that the Readers' Digest version of deconstructionism? The "patriarchy" ceased to exist at least one hundred years ago, and Christianity, in any real sense, ceased to be a political force around the same time.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 10:29 pm

I think a lot of things that get a cultural upper-hand become prone to misuse and abuse for reasons completely other than what they were devised for. Power draws all kinds of trash, bad actors, etc. and it gets worse if that power gets really fast and loose like mob justice - that's about the time that the cynical and the bad actors among the activists take their movement to the cleaners for their own personal gains.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 11:14 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

I have no more respect for it.

I do blame him and his phenomenon for acting as an accelerant to an already existing and worsening problem.

Sorry, was joking and forgot to add the requisite notation.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 4:38 pm

Great podcast...

Context: Politics...

In Britain and here in Australia, the political left and right, respectively, are "eating" themselves...
Both sides have members who are disillusioned by the core values of their respective parties...
I have never seen the like of such a powerful manifestation of this dichotomy within host political organisms...
A new more divergent political zeitgeist, it seems to me...

Context: Influence of the left...

To me there seems to be a frightening development here in Australia particularly, where the radical/fascist left wing is abusing its power through the sodomising/corruption of truth/reality...
No longer is rationality largely the currency of debate...
These days all you have to do is throw in an emotive term such as "racist" to shut up civilised discussion...

Context: Left wing political cohesion...

And I wonder how many moderates of the left are comfortable with the direction these radicals are taking them...
So far it seems to me they are willing to allow the militant section of their political organism to do the dirty work...
"The end justifies the means" mentality...

Context: Social concerns...

Hopefully this increasing disrespect of honesty and intellectual integrity will change, since I value reason over emotionalism...truth over falsehood...
I'd prefer not to be subjugated through intimidation...
I'd rather not live the rest of my life a` la 1984...
There is more than enough BS in neurotypical society as it is...

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think a lot of things that get a cultural upper-hand become prone to misuse and abuse for reasons completely other than what they were devised for. Power draws all kinds of trash, bad actors, etc. and it gets worse if that power gets really fast and loose like mob justice - that's about the time that the cynical and the bad actors among the activists take their movement to the cleaners for their own personal gains.