Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 7:15 pm

I do admit that I still like my German marches.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 8:52 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The Chilean army does have an interesting look, and sound.
Their brown faces certainly don't look German, but their uniforms do.
The guys in the red pants in the unit behind the guys in the German helmets looks like American Civil War soldiers.

Not just because of the brimmed hats with the flat tops that fall toward the brim, but also because those baggy red pants were a common thing worn by "Zouave" units on both sides of the American Civil War (a fashion statement American soldiers themselves stole from Napoleonic era French soldiers).

The reason today’s Chilean army looks like the traditional German army, is because they changed their military to the Prussian/German model in 1886 under Captain Emil Körner from Kriegsakademie Prussian military academy in Berlin. They were trained and advised by German officers for decades.

So Chilean uniforms became based on 19th & 20th century German uniforms, and use German marches. This includes Franco-Prussian War, WW1, and WW2 Wehrmacht (Not Nazi) uniforms and helmets.. Ironically today’s Germany’s Bundeswehr has mostly abandoned this look, for a more Americanized look instead.. I wonder why??

Result.. Chilean military do goose-step marches to German songs, and look more traditionally German, than Germany’s military.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 10:21 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

How about a Tank marsch

Panzerlied (1965 film: Battle of the Bulge)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 11:21 pm

MannyBoo wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

How about a Tank marsch

Panzerlied (1965 film: Battle of the Bulge)

Thank you. I like that song a lot.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 1:22 am

I tried using a Golden Eagle for an avatar last year around this time. A left-winger gave me a lot of flack for using that bird and saying that I wanted to be a Berlin kid. I came to WP less and less. There were days that I didn't come on here.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 2:22 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
Britain does NOT have better music than Germany:

JS Bach, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven, Gustav Mahler, Richard Wagner, et al

Vs

Edward Elgar and William Walton

That's simply a matter of taste.

Mahler and Mozart were Austrian, not German.

Prometheus18 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
The Kinks and The Beatles recorded some pretty groovy songs.

Not real music, although okay as a one-off.

the Beatles and other pop is every bit as much "real music" as classical music or any other type of music is.

goldfish21 wrote:
I enjoyed reading this:

No one wants to pay high(er) taxes, most people just can't get legally out of it. Taxes are pretty high here, and believe me, people grumble about all the nonsense it's wasted on.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 9:02 am

Skilpadde is right: you can be a fan both classical, and of rocknroll.

And she is right that Mozart and Mahler were Austrian (the later was actually from what is now the Czech Republic, but it was ruled by Austria at the time), and not German.

And I might add that both Lennon and McCartney were of Irish ancestry, and neither were truly "English". :lol:

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 10:06 am

I don't really approve of any music whose purpose is not wholesome, though I have been known to listen to The Beatles in the past. Austrians and Germans are rather lumped into one category to my mind.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 2:23 pm

To the original question: Why Aren’t Germans Patriotic ?

Standard patriotism such as Waving flags and Pride in your country, is in fact also done in many other countries around the world, not only in the United States.. Of course different countries do it to different degrees and levels...

But why does it seem much less in Germany?? The answer is because standard patriotic acts, like Waving flags and Pride in being German, etc, might somehow associate them with the Nazi era, which makes them feel uncomfortable.

Basically, it is Self-Censorship.. Patriotism is repressed internally.

For example, Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen banned this song Panzerlied from current German army’s marching song books.
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/verteidigungsministerium-stoppt-bundeswehr-liederbuch-a-1147482.html

Censorship and Repression is not a healthy state to continue on for a long time.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 3:23 pm

MannyBoo wrote:
But why does it seem much less in Germany?? The answer is because standard patriotic acts, like Waving flags and Pride in being German, etc, might somehow associate them with the Nazi era, which makes them feel uncomfortable.

Yeah they kind of overdid it in the 1930s...in 50 years Americans will feel the same way about their grandparents marching around with MAGA caps