Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 2:14 pm

I’m getting a Nintendo Switch this month and getting Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Let’s Go Pikachu. Does anyone have any game recommendations? I’m excited for the Ugly Doll game, Mortal Kombat 11 and Little Friends Dogs And Cats.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 12:30 am

I don't have a Switch, but I would highly recommend the following based on my time playing the PC versions of these. I don't know what genres you like so there's a bit of everything, both old and new.

Celeste for a stellar 2D platformer, my favorite new game of 2018. Excellent story and awesome level design

Cave Story+ is a fantastic 2D action platformer game. It's 15 years old now, but if you haven't played it yet you should get it

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight is a charming, well executed Metroidvania action platformer with influences from Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Cave Story.

Wargroove for turn based tactics, reminiscent of Intelligent System's Wars/Fire Emblem games. It has a lot of singleplayer content and a robust multiplayer community thanks to cross play and a wealth of community made content.

Stardew Valley is a farming game similar to Harvest Moon/Rune Factory, but surpasses them

Civilisation 6 for a good 4x strategy

Dark Souls: Remastered, if you like action RPGs and for some reason haven't played the original

Rocket League for competitive car on car soccer action

DOOM for a fantastic single player FPS

Ikaruga for an excellent vertical shmup

Warframe for a free to play, third person space ninja looter shooter

enz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 1:37 am

Theres probably a friendly smash bros group near you. They will probably be far better than you at the game but could give you advice

As for games the switch has a tonne of indie games on the e shop. Youtube "best e shop games switch"

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 11:29 am

enz wrote:
Theres probably a friendly smash bros group near you. They will probably be far better than you at the game but could give you advice

As for games the switch has a tonne of indie games on the e shop. Youtube "best e shop games switch"

I don’t think someone who has been playing video games since they were six or seven years old needs “advice” especially if it’s Smash Bros.

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2019, 2:05 pm

Wargroove is awesome. Zelda and Mario are obvious awesome. Splatoon 2 is fun. Also have enjoyed Horizon Chase Turbo, which is like old arcade racers ala Cruisin and the like.

P.S. SW-4400-5431-3252 if you want to add me :)

enz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 5:30 pm

fair enough, theres probably a smash community in your area if you want to meet new people given your high skill level

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 11:08 pm

I can recommend Monster Boy as a general choice along with Octopath Traveler and Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 4:30 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
enz wrote:

I don’t think someone who has been playing video games since they were six or seven years old needs “advice” especially if it’s Smash Bros.

It's a fighting game: I promise you, just having lots of videogame experience isnt going to be enough to perform the ancient ritual of Git Gud.

...No seriously though, learning a fighting game is a whole other beast. If you REALLY want to compete, it's likely to be way more difficult than any other game you've played in the past. And yes, that absolutely applies to Smash, particularly this most recent one with it's bazillions of mechanics. Dont think it's "easy" because of the way it looks. If someone goes in with that attitude, anyone who even remotely knows something of what they're doing will wreck them without effort. It'd be a bloody massacre.

Source: I've been doing this genre (not just Smash) for a very long time. Much too long.

If you already have experience with Smash (alot of experience) that's different (well, if you are specifically already at a competitive level). But for someone new who wants to play competitively... yeah.

Now if you're just playing casually, then it doesnt really matter. Everyone's just having fun in that case. But against a serious opponent, expect all of those things to apply.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 5:04 am

Yeah I was going to say similarly that it doesn't matter how long you've been playing games, you're getting to get your ass handed to you in most games without knowing the mechanics in depth in a way you'd never learn yourself just casually playing the game, and other aspects such as the multiplayer meta. Especially in something like a fighting game, and one as heavily played at a high level like Smash, you can expect that a lot of information is going to be available that's in your interests to peruse if you want to stand a chance competitively.

If you just want to casually spend your leisure time playing online though, you can safely ignore that information.

Personally, if I were to get a Switch, I'd be picking up and playing a lot of Tetris 99. It looks like the best competitive Tetris game that's ever released.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 5:45 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Yeah I was going to say similarly that it doesn't matter how long you've been playing games, you're getting to get your ass handed to you in most games without knowing the mechanics in depth in a way you'd never learn yourself just casually playing the game, and other aspects such as the multiplayer meta. Especially in something like a fighting game, and one as heavily played at a high level like Smash, you can expect that a lot of information is going to be available that's in your interests to peruse if you want to stand a chance competitively.

If you just want to casually spend your leisure time playing online though, you can safely ignore that information.

Personally, if I were to get a Switch, I'd be picking up and playing a lot of Tetris 99. It looks like the best competitive Tetris game that's ever released.

Ehh... to be honest, you dont NEED to look all that stuff up to take on high-level opponents in fighting games. Yes, I know the FGC will tell you that you do need to look up all the meta stuff and frame data and blah blah blah, but you dont.

I know this because it's how I went and did it. And as braggy as this'll sound, I reached such a high level that even high-ranked tourney players werent a challenge anymore. They may have alot of data, but data does you no good if you cannot hit your opponent. Mostly did it out of sheer stubbornness (I dont like the FGC and dont want to interact with them) and the desire for a major challenge. But also it's just the way I learn best.

And going along with that, indeed the biggest tip I'd give to anyone is to learn the game in question in whatever way feels right for them. There are many possible approaches. Again, the FGC will say otherwise, but frankly they can go take a long walk off a short pier. But the point needs to be made that *every* approach has it's benefits and it's downsides. There is no "best" way.

No matter the method used though, it aint gonna be easy, and it's going to take awhile. Expect to lose alot. But treat each loss as an opportunity to learn more and improve. The most important thing of all is confidence. Go into any fight thinking "there's no way I can beat this guy" and you've already lost.

On a side note, yes, Tetris 99 looks entertaining. I normally am not exactly fond of competitive gaming outside of fighters, but I'll be trying that one out. Well, eventually. I'll get the online service when Mario Maker 2 comes out. Right now I'm way too absorbed into Factorio to practice in Tetris anyway. I tell ya, that game will freaking eat your life.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 9:16 am

I don't have a Switch yet, but these are games I want when I get one:

Let's go Eevee/Pikachu
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Dragon Quest 11
Rune Factory 4 Special and RF 5 when they come out

Cave Story Plus
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
Steam World Dig 2
Minecraft or Dragon Quest Builder
Portal Knight

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 11:08 am

Oops. Maybe I didn’t clarify. I’m a casual gamer. I didn’t realize we were talking about competition. I thought you all meant casual groups. I love fighting games like Tekken, Dead or Alive and Mortal Kombat but play on the easiest difficulty.

I’m not pretty enough to be a real female gamer anyway. So, if you people don’t take me seriously feel free. My self esteem has already hit rock bottom :D

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 11:32 am

Oops. Maybe I didn’t clarify. I’m a casual gamer. I didn’t realize we were talking about competition. I thought you all meant casual groups. I love fighting games like Tekken, Dead or Alive and Mortal Kombat but play on the easiest difficulty.

I’m not pretty enough to be a real female gamer anyway. So, if you people don’t take me seriously feel free. My self esteem has already hit rock bottom :D

Gender *seriously* doesnt matter when it comes to, well, any of this. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

The only thing it will do is that some guys will act like utter and total morons when they realize that a female gamer is around. Why, I dont know.

But yeah, it's really irrelevant. No bearing on skill or potential. You can be as good as you want to be.

Anyway, it also doesnt really matter if you're playing casually or not. Yeah, I know the gaming community likes to make this big freaking deal about it, but honestly most of them are utter jerks.

Competitive gaming is a thing, sure, but at the core gaming is about having a good time. It amazes me, really, how many people forget about that. I know I ramble about competitive games alot or whatever but that's because in my case, the challenge is what creates the fun for me. It's different for everyone though... all that matters is that the fun is there.

Even applies to things like mobile gaming. Again, the community tends to bash the hell out of that, but... feh. If someone wants to play freaking Candy Crush half the day and is enjoying themselves (while specifically not blowing huge sums of money on it) then that's great too.

Not just that though, but even hardcore gamers WILL have things they're not freaking masters of. I do very well in fighting games, but if you put me into a competitive FPS? I will redefine the meaning of the word "failure". The only thing I'm likely to destroy is my own teammates. Not on purpose, mind you. But I'll manage it anyway. I couldnt be more terrible at those.

Anyway, Smash Bros in particular was actually created as a party game experience, NOT as a competitive game. Yeah, it's evolved since the series began, and now has a genuine competitive side even in it's design, but the brilliance of Smash is that you can play it however the hell you want. That is the part that hasnt changed. A high-level competitive match can be exciting, sure. But so is getting 4 players into a big arena and setting items to poke-balls only. Or something goofy like that. The fact that competitive players refuse to play it that way ever has always seriously irritated me. Cant they lighten up at least a bit?

Really, it's a *great* game. Doesnt matter how you play it: You're gonna have a fantastic time. Though the story mode can be an absolute turd every now and then.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 12:26 pm

I’m getting a Switch
When I first read this subject line, I envisioned a child having to go cut a switch from a tree or bush so that he or she could be punished with a "switching".

Gach ... I hate flashbacks!

enz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 4:01 pm

that's ok :D

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 9:17 pm

The staples are a recommendation, that would be The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Super Mario Oddyssey

Maybe also check out games you had missed, like perhaps Bayonetta, the 2nd game comes with the first on the Switch. Maybe seem odd that I give a recommendation of Bayonetta to a female gamer, some people get the idea that she and her games is just meant to be titillation along the lines of looking at a stripper on screen or something, but she is actually a really cool character who I like to think of as empowered by being a woman and such. She is cheesy, but kind of in the same way as Dante of Devil May Cry is as a man. I also think that a love of fighting games might translate well into the game, and just play on an easier difficulty.

A game I really liked that got ported over to the Switch as a definitive edition, is Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition. Although, I probably think you would get the most out of it if you are already a Zelda fan, and meant to be a game that is chipped away at. It has fun combos you would find in a fighting game, with mostly done on large groups of enemies.

You can't really go wrong with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, whether casual or competitive.

I would love to recommend Splatoon 2, it does have a single player mode that doesn't require multiplayer, which does need a subscription. Whether it is worth the full amount just for the single player could be debatable, although it is pretty much all I play with it. The DLC though is really good of a single player experience, that would certainly be worth checking out, but it is also kind of pretty hard, especially if you want to beat it all without skipping, which it does allow if something is too difficult. I would say that it can come down to how interested you might be in its style.