Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MC1729
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Mar 2019, 7:27 pm

I was just diagnosed with and going to be evaluated further for bulimia. I know there is at least one member here with anorexia, I was wondering what resources there are for persons with EDs, particularly as a man with an ED I feel kind of lonely. (Though there was another man with a history of EDs in the hospital I was just at, and we formed a bond over that.)

AQ Score: 46 out of 50

EQ Score: 5 out of 80

RDOS Score: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 145 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 51 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2019, 8:12 pm

I have been diagnosed with binge eating disorder and never received treatment specific to that. There are clinics that specialize in eating disorders tho. I believe that it is known that autism and anorexia are often comorbid.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2019, 9:17 pm

Autism and anorexia overlap. obsessive compulsive disorder, depression, anxiety.

Autistics sometimes find certain tastes revolting

CherryRCee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Mar 2019, 8:23 pm

Over the years, I've been diagnosed with anorexia, bulimia, OSFED, and avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder (ARFID). I've recieved treatment through inpatient hospitalization, partial hospitalization, eating disorder therapists, IOP, eating disorder specific dietitians, support groups, Eating Disorders Anonymous, and other organizations.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 8:30 pm

Not diagnosed

But some of my eating habits are extreme

There are many things that I don't eat

Gorge a lot

SpacePuppy
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Apr 2019, 11:36 am

I've been bulimic since I was 14 (I'm now 45), but because of huge anxiety issues about going to see doctors I've never been officially diagnosed. I feel I have it under control a lot of the time now, but still really struggle when I'm stressed or eat too much (or the 'wrong') food. I've seen a few books on Amazon written by or about boys/men with EDs. Maybe one of those might be helpful? All the research I've seen about autistics with EDs seems to focus on women and girls. It really is long overdue that professionals (and everyone else) stop ignoring that men can also have EDs, even if there is a lower prevalence compared to women because it still means thousands of people are being left unsupported.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2019, 7:18 pm

The Diagnosic statistical manual used to require a weight limit for anorexia

That changed

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Apr 2019, 9:33 pm

grahambaster wrote:
I have been diagnosed with binge eating disorder and never received treatment specific to that. There are clinics that specialize in eating disorders tho. I believe that it is known that autism and anorexia are often comorbid.
I think I've been diagnosed with binge-eating but I'm not entirely sure. I've discussed this with my docs multiple times cuz they're concerned about how much weight I've gained. Only real treatment we've discussed was me seeing a dietitian which didn't help me but might help alittle if I were to remember to practice what she told me. My doc has also mentioned the med Topamax/Topiramate but hasn't prescribed it to me yet cuz I'm on another med in that class for a different reason. Topamax is a seizure med that can suppress appetite.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2019, 9:42 pm

Some symptoms of binge eating disorder, orthorexia, anorexia

No diagnosis yet

My insurance doesn't pay for expensive treatment like Renfrew or anything

The most is just one year of psychotherapy

Sitting around talking

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 1:32 pm

I was diagnosed with binge eating disorder a few months ago. I’ve been in counseling for a long time but haven’t been able to kick this problem on my own. Being out of control is really frustrating, especially when I’ve worked so hard to lose weight throughout my life.

I’ve always struggled with this, but it got worse after I went on an extreme diet as a teen, got underweight, and then completely lost control of my eating.

My doctor prescribed Vyvanse for my BED recently, and it helps a lot! It’s a stimulant, so it helps with my ADD as well.

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2019, 7:14 pm

Recovering from binge eating disorder, no longer binge/stress over binging enough to have BED but still do it occasionally, desperately trying not to fall back into old habits. Dormant orthorexic tendencies but lack of willpower so I eat unhealthy foods anyway even though I make rules for myself—I never stick to them. I used to restrict, misdiagnosed with anorexia even though I still ate, just in secret, snacks only and very little at mealtimes.

Every attempt to recover counts, just as though you were quitting smoking. Maybe eat with other people so you have accountability.

Cats_And_Snacks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2019, 7:38 pm

I have had anorexia for over 7 years now, although I am doing pretty well at the moment (yay). I have been in various different hospitals.... good luck with your recovery :)

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2019, 8:07 pm

I'm sorry, but I keep seeing ED in the subject line and thinking "erectile dysfunction". But obviously this thread isn't about that. It took me a minute or two to realize you were referring to an "eating disorder".

treefiddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2019, 1:11 pm

I had anorexia a few years ago. Sadly I didn't have adequate support...at all. My family and bf at the time refused to acknowledge that it was even a thing and kept saying that I was an idiot for letting societal pressure get to me or whatever :roll: the ignorance was intense.
The thing that helped me recover is actually one of my AS symptoms - obsession - I got obsessed with learning everything about eating disorders to the point that every time I had an "anorexic thought", the other part of my mind (the one that had learned all this info) would say "that's textbook anorexia" and thus I was able to separate myself from the disorder. I no longer saw these desires to be thin/fragile etc as my genuine feelings, but instead saw it as symptoms of a problem and it was much easier from then on to put an end to these thoughts over time and develop healthier thinking and eating patterns.
Don't know if that helps, but that's my experience.

Gull1ver
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2019, 3:30 pm

I was bulimic from age 17 to around 34. I’m 39 now. It gradually faded away as I got older. I made many attempts to stop and eventually I did. I’m not sure why but I think getting my life together a little, helped. It’s strange though, I was doing lots of other self destructive stuff as well but they all eventually faded. I would love to know why. Why am I so different now than I was in my teens and twenties. Parts of my life are a mystery to me.

Please get help with this, I’ve destroyed my teeth but other than that, life is pretty good now.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 8:02 pm

The definition of anorexic changed in the diagnosis statistical manual, ten years ago

It used to require a certain weight limit

Not anymore

So what is the point of a diagnosis,vwhen the definition keeps changing?

:roll: