Bicentennial man is so ****ing beautiful.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2005, 12:58 pm

I love it.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2005, 1:59 pm

I agree...

I like how they make Robin Williams look like a Robin Williams-bot...

That's how Isaac Asimov visualized those robots... all made out of fancy metal and looking vaguely comforting...

Very nice...

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 10:15 am

Did anyone else find that the math didn't check out for him being "bicentennial?" There were two things wrong with their description of his age.

1. He basically lived for two (or was it three?) generations, Little Miss, and Porshe. I remember that when he had blood injected into him, he was told that he would live a certain amount of time, and I forget how old Porshe was at that time, but it was less than fifty years old, (I haven't seen the movie in years, so if you remember, correct me). Now I forget if Little Miss was the mother ro grandmother, but either way, I do remember that the time didn't add up.

2. They cited Methusela in the Bible as having been the only other person who lived that long. NO. There were lots of people in the Bible listed as having lived over 200 years!! !! THAT pissed me off too; if they're going to cite a biblical reference, do it right!! !

calculon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2005, 1:53 pm

I love the music in this film composed by James Horner whos composed music for films such as Titanic, Land Before Time, Star Trek 2 & 3 etc...

Especially the piece of music you hear When Andrew and Little Miss are collecting pieces of wood on the beach I think thats the main theme but an instrumental version can't find it anywhere though

WhiteRaven_214
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jul 2005, 12:25 am

In the begining of the movie (in 2005!! !), Andrew (the name that was given to the android) was baught by Little Miss' father (played by Sam Neil), to conduct the regular househod duties. However, as he (or it) was developing an intimate friendship with Little Miss, her father found that he was acting in a parculiar manner (creating original craftwork, appreciating classical music, etc) and realised that he was evolving into a unique individual (kind of like 'Data' from Star Trek). Thus the father began to give him counsel and daily regamins in an attempt to enrich his increasingly human personality.

Andrew lived with Little Miss' family long enough to see her grow up.

However, there was a point in Andrew's life that put him at crossroads with the father - he wanted freedom, and thus sought to buy it by giving away a tremendous sum of money to the family. But the father, disappointed, him go for free, on the condition that he'd never live with his family again. That predicament stood until he apologised to Andrew on his deathbed, reasuring him that the android made a good decision.

By now, Little Miss was alredy married and had kids of her own. So at that time, Andrew was around for 3 generations already.

Andrew then started exploring the world, attempting to find androids of the same model as himself everywhere to see if these had the same unique abilities - but to no avail. Finally - to cut the story short - he found a guy who put him under the knife (or under the welder, LOL), so as to make him more human.

Afterwards we meet Little miss again (who is now elderly) with her granddaughter Porche. Little Miss dies of a stroke.

Then later on, Andrew and Porche hitch up and live in a de facto relationship untill they both died in 2205.

So therefore Andrew lived amoungst 4 generatations of the same family.

In the end of the film, the "black" (i hate that terminology) lady who had declared that Andrew was now leagally a fully-fledged human, said that "...besides Methuselah, and other Biblical references, Andrew is the longest living human to have ever existed..."

The same lady also stated that Andrew was activated in 2005. He died almost exactly 200 years later in 2205.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2005, 9:50 am

WhiteRaven_214 wrote:
In the begining of the movie (in 2005!! !), Andrew (the name that was given to the android) was baught by Little Miss' father (played by Sam Neil), to conduct the regular househod duties. However, as he (or it) was developing an intimate friendship with Little Miss, her father found that he was acting in a parculiar manner (creating original craftwork, appreciating classical music, etc) and realised that he was evolving into a unique individual (kind of like 'Data' from Star Trek). Thus the father began to give him counsel and daily regamins in an attempt to enrich his increasingly human personality.

Andrew lived with Little Miss' family long enough to see her grow up.

However, there was a point in Andrew's life that put him at crossroads with the father - he wanted freedom, and thus sought to buy it by giving away a tremendous sum of money to the family. But the father, disappointed, him go for free, on the condition that he'd never live with his family again. That predicament stood until he apologised to Andrew on his deathbed, reasuring him that the android made a good decision.

By now, Little Miss was alredy married and had kids of her own. So at that time, Andrew was around for 3 generations already.

Andrew then started exploring the world, attempting to find androids of the same model as himself everywhere to see if these had the same unique abilities - but to no avail. Finally - to cut the story short - he found a guy who put him under the knife (or under the welder, LOL), so as to make him more human.

Afterwards we meet Little miss again (who is now elderly) with her granddaughter Porche. Little Miss dies of a stroke.

Then later on, Andrew and Porche hitch up and live in a de facto relationship untill they both died in 2205.

So therefore Andrew lived amoungst 4 generatations of the same family.

In the end of the film, the "black" (i hate that terminology) lady who had declared that Andrew was now leagally a fully-fledged human, said that "...besides Methuselah, and other Biblical references, Andrew is the longest living human to have ever existed..."

The same lady also stated that Andrew was activated in 2005. He died almost exactly 200 years later in 2205.

Ohhhhh OK. Thanks for explaining that; I could never figure it out, for some reason it always came out as being about 125 years in my head. I also missed that specific part about "other biblical references" though I don't know why. It's been a couple years since I saw it. :oops:

WhiteRaven_214
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jul 2005, 12:39 am

No worries :D

If you thought Andrew was old, guess how old Methuselah was when he died...969 years!! !
He must have had good telomeres in his cells.

Forget Bicentenial man, this guy was a mellenial man

And here we are struggleing to live for a mere 90 years; pathetic.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2005, 6:17 am

I thought the movie was stupid and artificially soppy. And I hate Robin Williams.