Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 2:24 pm

Wikipedia Dean Falk

Quote:
Dean Falk (born June 25, 1944) is an American academic Neuroanthropologist who specializes in the evolution of the brain and cognition in higher primates. She is a Professor of Anthropology at Florida State University.

Non-complicit: Revisiting Hans Asperger’s Career in Nazi-era Vienna
Quote:
Abstract
Recent allegations that pediatrician Hans Asperger legitimized Nazi policies, including forced sterilization and child euthanasia, are refuted with newly translated and chronologically-ordered information that takes into account Hitler’s deceptive ‘halt’ to the T4 euthanasia program in 1941. It is highly unlikely that Asperger was aware of the T4 program when he referred Herta Schreiber to Am Spiegelgrund or when he mentioned that institution 4 months later on the medical chart of another (unrelated) girl, Elisabeth Schreiber. Asperger campaigned vigorously from 1938 to 1943 to have his specialization, Curative Education, take priority in the diagnosis and treatment of disabled children over other fields that promoted Nazi racial hygiene policies. He neither disparaged his patients nor was he sexist. By 1938, he had identified the essentials of Asperger syndrome and described an unnamed boy whom he later profiled (as Ernst K.) in 1944. Rather than doing ‘thin’ research, Asperger made discoveries that were prescient, and some of his activities conformed to definitions of “individual resistance.”

The paper costs $39.95 to purchase, hopefully an accurate summary will come out soon.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

traven
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 3:36 am

where wasn't psychiatry complicit ?
or medicine >> Dr Morris Fraser : The Paedophile Doctor/Chris Moore investigates why child psychiatrist Dr Morris Fraser, a convicted paedophile, was not struck off by the General Medical Council. or the Kinsky institute closed from investigation despite most material was bought from pedophiles

imagine where medication is made ?
(hint, in the 'plantprotection' industry, or plant-health, maybe next is controls on plant-wellbeing, meaning: has it had the obligatory molecules sprayed & payed? )
imagine pharma spends more on advertising, lobbying than research

imagine the 'old' aristocrazy is over represented in medicine, imagine the gbp is dependent on increasing medication,
the old and disabled must participate too
and goodheaven forbid dying without the proper toxicity and radiation, think about the shareholders

eg, france has medical scandals all the time,
"tout benef", being prosecuted seems really good, careerwise

medicine dumping and all sorts of profitable deliberate abuse, as long as the press approves the optics
(ofcourse no critic in the english version, there never is) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Kouchner

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2019, 11:54 am

Complete Journal article

The author of the article co wrote a book with her Aspie grandaughter entitled "Geeks, Genes, and the Evolution of Asperger Syndrome"

Quote:
In this unusual book an evolutionary anthropologist and her coauthor/granddaughter, who has Asperger syndrome, examine the emergence and spread of Asperger syndrome and other forms of high-functioning autism. The authors speak to readers with autism, parents, teachers, clinicians, psychologists, psychiatrists, other health-care providers, autism researchers, evolutionary biologists, geneticists, paleoanthropologists, and people who simply enjoy reading about science.Using the latest findings regarding brain evolution and the neurological, genetic, and cognitive underpinnings of autistic individuals at the high end of the spectrum, Falk theorizes that many characteristics associated with Asperger syndrome are by-products of the evolution of advanced mental processing. She explores the origins of autism, whether it is currently evolving, how it differs in males and females, and whether it is a global phenomenon. Additionally, Eve Schofield, who was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome as a child, provides firsthand accounts of what it is like to grow up as an “Aspie.”

Bolding mine.
While the work should be looked at the fact that the author subscribes to the Aspergers is the next stage in evolution theory raises a red flag with me.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 2:43 am

Quote:
While the work should be looked at the fact that the author subscribes to the Aspergers is the next stage in evolution theory raises a red flag with me.

Please, quote the bit where she suggests that. The bit you bolded doesn't. That bit implies Aspergers is more of a spandrel than a future evolutionary state.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 2:55 am

...Hm! :)

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 8:47 am

Magneto wrote:
Quote:

Please, quote the bit where she suggests that. The bit you bolded doesn't. That bit implies Aspergers is more of a spandrel than a future evolutionary state.

There is another way to interpret the remarks. The Spandrel caveat is often a way to be politically correct, to not say directly one is a supremacist or to convince oneself one is not really a supremacist.

As I said one should take into account an authors agenda but not dismiss what is said out of hand because of that. People are correct for the wrong reasons, agendas lead people to correct conclusions often. But agendas should be factored in when judging peoples work. This is as true of Edith Sheffer’s anti label agenda the author whose work Falk is disputing as it is Falk’s.

Also what should be taken into account is the fact that Sheffer and Czeck are historians with expertise of Europe in that time period, Falk is not.

That said there should have been much more attention given to Falk’s criticism on WP and elsewhere then there has been.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2019, 10:08 am

traven wrote:
where wasn't psychiatry complicit ?
or medicine >> Dr Morris Fraser : The Paedophile Doctor/Chris Moore investigates why child psychiatrist Dr Morris Fraser, a convicted paedophile, was not struck off by the General Medical Council. or the Kinsky institute closed from investigation despite most material was bought from pedophiles

The above-mentioned allegation about the Kinsey Institute is controversial at best. Its originator was Judith Reisman, about whom see:

- Alfred Kinsey, and Judith Reisman's Dirty Little Mind By Miss Poppy Dixon, November 2004
- Her Kinsey Obsession by Max Blumenthal, Alternet, December 15, 2004
- Why Know? - The New Yorker, November 28, 2004
- #2152: Judith Reisman, Encyclopedia of American Loons, March 4, 2019