I purposely disclosed disability to a job because....

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 9:18 am

I actually saw a job advertised thats seasonal but first within reasonable commuting distance (according to Google 45minute drive one way but then I would have to figure out car issue) but it is actually teaching environmental education to children with physical and cognative disorders... So I said I understand being disabled myself... But was that really a good idea I now wonder... Anyway we'll see I guess.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 9:25 am

Yep. We'll have to wait and see.

As a rule of thumb, one should not disclose one's disability, usually, until one has actually been hired for the job.

It doesn't mean you won't get the job, though.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2019, 10:23 am

In most typical jobs, it's best not to disclose, and I've sometimes had problems when doing so in the past -- but this isn't a universal dogma, and it all depends on context. For example, having nothing to lose, I disclosed during a December interview for a direct support job where my clients are also on the autism spectrum. Well, this time it worked! This is the best job I've had so far. I work quiet night shifts, and my boss is amazed and delighted by my attention to detail.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 11:19 am

Angnix: this might be the special case where it makes sense to disclose. You are actually mentioning your disability as an asset. Worst case scenario: they don't hire you!

kdm1984: Good for you! It's always great to hear a success story.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 11:38 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Angnix: this might be the special case where it makes sense to disclose. You are actually mentioning your disability as an asset. Worst case scenario: they don't hire you!

kdm1984: Good for you! It's always great to hear a success story.

You beat me to it. What better person for the job than someone who has been in those kids shoes!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 11:42 am

Right....but at least some of these sorts of places don't see it that way.

They might not "trust" a person who has a disability to work with those with disabilities.

But....they do trust ex-drug addicts to work with present drug addicts, come to think of it....

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 4:07 pm

Depends on the job too... I applied to a DNR job in South Michigan where you observe falcons nesting on city buildings... they are interested too and I was told that I do better at the science stuff than teaching kids. But the issues are I need a car and also it's seasonal but at the same time it's a full time job making 17 dollars an hour... Would swamp our SSI and maybe threaten our medical benefits...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020