Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 6:59 pm

ASAN

Quote:
The disability community has been working for years to end the use of electric shock torture at the Judge Rotenberg Center. Since an initial hearing on April 24th, 2014, the FDA has been slowly moving toward banning the GED devices used to shock disabled students at the JRC—but every step forward has required sustained pressure from our community. Thanks to your hard work in last year’s successful #StopTheShock campaign, we are closer than ever to ending this abuse for good. In response to your advocacy, the FDA noted in their fall 2018 Unified Agenda that they intend to release the rule in 2019. This is a major step toward finalizing the rule, but our work isn’t done. Until the FDA finally bans these dangerous devices, we need to hold them accountable and remind them that #WeAreStillWaiting.

We’ll be taking action on April 24th, the 5th anniversary of the FDA hearing on the harmful effects of the GED. We need you to join us to make calls, write emails, send letters, host events and spread the word. We’re starting now. Check out our campaign page to learn what YOU can do to let the FDA know: we won’t stop til they #StopTheShock!

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 7:58 pm

To think that an institution purposefully inflicts maximum physical pain as a Lovaas-ABA-like aversive for the purpose of "correcting" autistic behaviors sickens the mind. If electric shocks are strong enough, they can stop the heart and kill someone. The JRC has already killed some people being "treated" there, presumably either by this or by asphyxiation caused by physical restraint.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 8:04 pm

The JRC should have been shut down decades ago.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 10:26 am

I agree with all the above opinions, but if I may play devil's advocate for a moment, what WOULD you recommend for a patient who poses an aggression threat to himself or others?

I knew a mom who was being brutalized* by her late-teens autistic son. It happens.

*beaten up, bones broken

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 5:55 pm

I would say use restraints, but with CAUTION. Improper restraint techniques have been shown to cause serious injury or death at times (e.g. placing an person who poses a physical threat to himself or others in a prone position could potentially asphyxiate him). Only use restraints as a last-resort option.

Otherwise, I would try to find the source/cause of the aggression and deal with it.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 6:31 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I agree with all the above opinions, but if I may play devil's advocate for a moment, what WOULD you recommend for a patient who poses an aggression threat to himself or others?

I knew a mom who was being brutalized* by her late-teens autistic son. It happens.

*beaten up, bones broken

Find out WHY they are being aggressive in the first place.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 12:52 am

Today is the designated day
https://autisticadvocacy.org/stoptheshock/

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 6:09 pm

Demonstrators protest electric shock "therapy" used at Canton facility

Quote:
A new protest today over a controversial "electric shock" treatment used at a Massachusetts school.

This time demonstrators took their case to Washington, where some of those protestors were arrested.

The outrage over this treatment is something we have been following for years.

Demonstrators say children and adults who go to the Judge Rotenberg Center in Canton are forced to wear a device, which delivers electric shocks as a form of punishment.

Wednesday afternoon, disability rights advocates demonstrated outside of the Department Of Health and Human Services. They want the Food and Drug Administration to ban the use of electric shock devices on people with disabilities.