Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 4:00 pm

https://www.jenniferotooleauthor.com/autisminheels

Just spent a half hour reading it in the library.

Good book if you want some insight into living as a female with autism from a very intelligent lady.

Or, why things blow up if you are a female with autism. 8O

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 8:59 am

Very awesome that she mentions heels and lipstick. I love both and sometimes autistic women are stereotyped as hating makeup and only wear shoes that prevent sensory issues.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2019, 10:53 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Very awesome that she mentions heels and lipstick. I love both and sometimes autistic women are stereotyped as hating makeup and only wear shoes that prevent sensory issues.

I blame Temple Grandin for perpetuating the stereotype that all autistic people are unfashionable genderless weirdos.

Catana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2019, 8:00 am

[quote=
I blame Temple Grandin for perpetuating the stereotype that all autistic people are unfashionable genderless weirdos.[/quote]

Why blame her? Blame the people who have made her the representative for autism, and use her as an example of the stereotype.

Over the years, I've gone from being fascinated by fashion, to wearing only what pleases me. It's mostly about comfort, and I don't give a d__n what anyone else thinks about how I dress. In fact, just from the title, I'd say that book has nothing at all to say to me, just like so many that I see, with their emphasis on girlyness.

WildColonial
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 7:27 pm

I will add this to my list. I’m not particularly femme at the moment, but I have been in the past and might be again.

“‘Why was I chosen?’ ‘Such questions cannot be answered,’ said Gandalf. ‘You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.’”

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 7:40 pm

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 10:23 am

Although the topic of women with autism interests me, the title is a turn-off. I'm one of the unstylish Temple Grandin types. Heels damage women's feet and ankles, after years of wearing them. They also increase the likelihood of a fall and make it impossible to run, for instance if someone threatens the wearer. Bad idea all around.

I do occasionally wear lipstick, but I'd probably equally resist the title "Autism with Lipstick."

Finally, since autistics are more likely to be gender fluid than NTs, maybe it's not wise or fair to use "heels" as a metaphor for "female."

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 10:39 am

I don't think she cares. It is a book about her world with autism, and if you don't like it, don't read the book.
Or, better yet, publish a book about your flavor of autism.

Fact is, she likes to wear heels. I'm sure she knows the risks. Why can't she just do as she pleases?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 12:30 pm

I was merely giving my reaction, not prescribing her behavior.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 10:48 pm

Heels are pretty to look at but I don’t personally wear them. I wear Converse low tops almost every day. The author may not be speaking for all women on the spectrum but she’s speaking for some.

Blaming Temple Grandin isn’t right. I don’t think she represents all women on the spectrum but she speaks for a certain variety like the author of this book is.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Lyeshea
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 May 2019, 12:49 pm

I’m reading it right now (courtesy of the Libby app) and she talks about her challenges growing up , how she came to realize she was an Aspie after her kids were diagnosed, and some of her social struggles. She also has a section on having synesthesia.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 7:51 pm

I'm a genderless weirdo for not wanting to wear 10-ince high heels that would cause severe pain and discomfort, not to mention long-term damage to my feet???

Men don't have to wear such things. Why should women? It's sexist and women who wear things like that are a disgrace to all things female. No woman can possibly really enjoy wearing things like that. It's just to turn the men on. God, I'm sick of it.

I need to be free. FREE!! :x

I know I sound like a feminazi, but seriously just seeing shoes like that make my feet ache. :(

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 7:05 am

MushroomPrincess wrote:
xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:

I blame Temple Grandin for perpetuating the stereotype that all autistic people are unfashionable genderless weirdos.

Why does not conforming to stereotypically feminine behavior as determined by society make one a weirdo?

There’s nothing wrong with being feminine, but there’s nothing wrong with not being feminine, either.

I think it’s inspiring that Grandin has always marched to the beat of her own drum.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2019, 7:05 am

If you think Chinese foot binding was abuse, heels are similar. They both change the way woman pose themselve, give them sexier shapes and make walking more difficult. I personally dress very feminine, but with sneakers and other comfortable shoes. I do not wear ballet flats or flip flop either. Anything that can hinder my movement and make me unable to run at top speed is not good enough for me. I'm sure this book is a good read. Unfortunately there's nothing that can convince me heels have any positive value.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2019, 10:20 am

y-pod wrote:
If you think Chinese foot binding was abuse, heels are similar. They both change the way woman pose themselve, give them sexier shapes and make walking more difficult. I personally dress very feminine, but with sneakers and other comfortable shoes. I do not wear ballet flats or flip flop either. Anything that can hinder my movement and make me unable to run at top speed is not good enough for me. I'm sure this book is a good read. Unfortunately there's nothing that can convince me heels have any positive value.

I don’t wear heals anymore, but I used to be able to run at a pretty good pace in 4 inch stilettos. I was going through a “fashionista” phase in my early 20’s.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2019, 10:53 am

Chinese foot-binding was a barbaric practice.