Israel President hosts inclusivity themed awareness event

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 2:17 am

President Rivlin hosted an event to mark World Autism Awareness Day

Quote:
President Reuven (Ruvi) Rivlin on Sunday 24 March / 17 Adar II, hosted an event at Beit HaNasi for the first time to mark World Autism Awareness Day, which falls each year on April 2. Deputy Health Minister Yaakov Litzman, children and adults on the autism spectrum and representatives of various NGOs also participated in the event.

During the event, 11-year old Roi Mor, who was diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum at the age of a year and a half, performed an original composition called ‘Harmony’. Roi has exceptional musical talents and he composed this piece at the age of 10. There was also an exhibition of works by artists on the autism spectrum from three different shows: ‘A Bridge to the World’ at the ALUT center in Jerusalem; ‘Out of the Bubble – Autism: Not What You Thought’ by Tali Kagan, mother of Idan; and ‘In My Own Way’ by the artist Nevo Afek.

The president added, “we must make our world accessible to them, and their world accessible to us. This is transparent accessibility. Accessibility that mostly happens through inter-personal communication, in the ability to be part of the community and for places of work and entertainment to understand what this means.”

“Integration of children and adults with autism in society is a task of the highest priority which every one of us can and must engage with,” said the president, adding “and in order to do this, we must acknowledge first and foremost. We need to go beyond what is familiar and to try and meet these dear people who are hidden under the name ‘autism’. To want to do a little more for them, and certainly not to use that name as a term of abuse.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 25 Mar 2019, 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 2:33 am

That is for Israelis with autism...I don't imagine this is directed at any palestinians in occupied territory that might have autism. Which who knows they cut their water off, cut access to hospitals off bulldoze people and buildings ect... so who knows what health ailments they're facing without anywhere to go for treatment.

I mean I suppose that's nice but at the same time...what about that conflict where they are bulldozing peoples homes to make way for more Isreali housing and even indiscriminately killing palestinians at times. Maybe they should work towards a resolution on that before bragging about their inclusivity themed awareness event.

Just a thought.