Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jun 2019, 2:22 pm

My psychiatrist recommended I'd get testing when she diagnosed me with Aspergers & gave me a number to call. I was told I needed a referral when I called so I told my psych this & she referred me. Perhaps you could get the person who prescribes your meds to help you get an appointment. Also be sure to mention how your son was officially diagnosed. Autism can run in families sometimes. Autism was ruled out when I was tested in favor of other things which I do have but they don't explain the whole story. The person who diagnosed me was a quack who didn't ask me any questions about social skills or how I was when I was little. I was also told by him & my psych that I could only be diagnosed before I was 21 cuz in order for it to be autism it has to occur before your 21 & the only way they can know for sure that it did is to test you before your 21. I also could not get on waiting lists for autism specic services after I was 21. Autism awareness where I come from is pretty sh!tty & even the so-called experts think of it as something like Rain Man. After joining this forum & doing a lot of researching, I'm pretty sure that I am on the spectrum & believe I was misdiagnosed by a quack when I was tested for it. I don't think having an official diagnoses would help me any at this point cuz my GP believes I have it as well as Social Security when I get my disability reviews & they send me to psychs(I'm on disability for lots of reasons & I don't feel autism is the main 1s). Anyways getting an official diagnosis may not help you much & it is entirely possible for the experts to be wrong. It totally sux that your husband isn't being supportive & helpful. Maybe it'll help to try explaining your issues to him without using the autism or Aspergers terms like try to understand why us autistics have the issues we do & explain those reasonings to your husband. Unfortunately this may not work thou & if it doesn't there really isn't much you can do about it except suck it up like you've been & maybe reevaluate if you want to stay married to your husband or not. I think going to couples counseling is pointless if they don't understand you & your husband isn't trying to make things work. Luckily my girlfriend belives I have Aspergers. Her brother was diagnosed when he was little. We suspect she's also on the spectrum but her counselor demises it. She has various issues too & what's important in our realtionship is that we both try & be supportive of each other. The specific labels do help us know what's going on & would help her get better medical treatment but what's important is that we both try to understand each other & help each other regardless of what labels we have.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition