When people say "always have a smile on your face"

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 9:03 am

In some cases, you'd be a fool or worse if you smiled all the time. In Russia, I read that people who have constant smiles on their faces are thought of as idiots. While that's an extreme statement, I believe there are definite times when it would look foolish to smile.

shootingstar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2019, 10:13 am

magz wrote:
I have a friend who always smiles.
It sucks because she can be in serious emotional distress and she still keeps smiling - this is just the default thing she does with her face.
She's a masking Aspie. She believes she trained it to please her parents and now she struggles to untrain it.

This is me. I just recently got diagnosed (like a week ago), but trained myself as a child to always smile because I wasn't sure what to do with my face and it seemed like smiling was most agreeable to other people. The problem, though, is that became my default so much, that even when I am not happy, when I am in public I am smiling. My internal emotions are completely disconnected from my face.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 11:19 am

Always is an exaggeration. They don't literally mean always. However, most people tend to have a better first impression of and tend to enjoy spending time with people who are generally positive and happy more than with people who are grumpy, hopeless and negative.

There are of course situations when a smile is inappropriate. If someone tells you they cried their eyes out all day because their grandmother just died and you respond with a broad smile, they'll probably not like that very much.

Always wearing a broad and static smile also looks fake and won't make a good impression.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2019, 5:57 am

Some lil dipshits have had the nerve to ask "why are you smiling?"

Ass holes

In some situations, someone misinterpret your smile

If someone is injured and you smile, they could take it as an insult

But whatever

Anyone could misinterpret anything

:roll:

:mrgreen:

Happiness is not magic or special

Sad is not a catastrophe

Anger is not a felony

:roll:

Most precious lil "people" act like they have a moral right to be happy at all times and if they are not happy, someone must have violated their stupidass "rights"

Nobody has a "right" to be happy

Not even Trump

:mrgreen: