Movies (and possibly TV) Everyone Disagrees With You On

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 4:56 pm

One of my favorite YouTubers that I enjoy watching frequently is Doug Walker AKA The Nostalgia Critic and the videos of him that I find the most fascinating are whenever he discusses movies that he hates, but everyone else loves or he likes, but everyone else hates or when he hosts his Movies Everyone Disagrees With You On panel at conventions where random people get to talk about movies that have a similar affect on them. What I find most interesting is how, when people explain why they feel that particular way about a certain movie, you can actually learn something about them you might not have known about. There's also the idea that there's no scientific formula that dictates whether a movie is good or bad; it's all subjective and can lead to different viewing experiences for different people.

And so I wanted to open up a forum where people could discuss movies that they hate, but others love or they like, but others hate and why they feel that way about said movie. If you want, we can even throw in some TV Shows/Episodes to talk about. I might post here every once in a while and I might save some of my own "controversial" selections for later, but I'm mostly opening this up for you guys to discuss.

To start off, a movie I like that everyone else seems to hate is Legend Of The Guardians: The Owls Of Ga'Hoole. This was the only family friendly movie to be directed by Zack Snyder, famous for such movies as 300 and Watchmen, and was also worked on by the same company who made Happy Feet. Now is the movie all that original or the characters particularly complex? Not really, but this movie has a solid mythology that it takes entirely seriously. The movie is also among the darker kids movies that I feel warrants its PG rating. Not to mention the animation is incredibly lifelike. I watch this movie frequently and I still find myself blown away by the character animation and effects. I feel almost like I'm watching actual owls flying through actual storms into actual battles.

So I truly do like this movie even if it's not perfect, but, everywhere I go online, people just slam the movie as one of the worst, if not the worst, Zack Snyder movie(s) to ever come out, some even claiming it to be worse than the flaming bag of dog s**t that was the original PG-13 rated cut of Batman V. Superman and I just can't for the life of me understand where all this hatred and venom for LOTG comes from.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 5:50 pm

Slumdog Millionaire, which won Best Picture back in 2008 was viewed as a likeable underdog film about a guy from India who gets onto a gameshow and becomes a contestant.

Despite the controversies surrounding it even to this day, I like this movie but whenever I happen upon someone slamming Slumdog Millionaire, I do not understand why this film is getting more hate back
than it did back in 2008.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 12:24 am

I really disliked Avatar (the James Cameron film). There's some things many people who love it or hate it would agree on - the story was cliche and something we've seen done better before, and the dialogue was often trite and on the nose. But whereas most people say the film is elevated mostly by its visuals, I didn't think it was a good looking film. To me it was just one long take of bad looking and pointlessly used CG.

I get that it's impressive that it's basically all CG animation, but I just can't agree with the decision to use CG as much as it does. There's a lot of shots, particularly in the forest environments that could've looked much better with more use of actual sets and props, and the texture work is notably low resolution. And despite being mostly computer generated, it never takes full advantage of that either - action scenes are a mess of motion blur in an attempt to emulate regular film at 23.97fps.

It's technically impressive, in that no other filmmaker has made films showing what it does in CG with as much detail. But the deliberate decision to use CG so heavily in a way that feels unnecessary, and the effect that has on the visual design of the film is what turns me off its visual style.

In disliking its visuals, I disagree with a lot of people who like or dislike the film, largely because both camps mostly agree that it's a great looking film.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 12:02 pm

I really liked Superman III and disliked Titanic.

I thought Superman III was a funny spoof or satire on the franchise most were appalled at the idea of spoofing the Superman franchise.

Yes, Titanic had great special effects especially for 1997 but the plot was another bad knockoff of Romeo and Juliet.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 12:18 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I really disliked Avatar (the James Cameron film). There's some things many people who love it or hate it would agree on - the story was cliche and something we've seen done better before, and the dialogue was often trite and on the nose. But whereas most people say the film is elevated mostly by its visuals, I didn't think it was a good looking film. To me it was just one long take of bad looking and pointlessly used CG.

I get that it's impressive that it's basically all CG animation, but I just can't agree with the decision to use CG as much as it does. There's a lot of shots, particularly in the forest environments that could've looked much better with more use of actual sets and props, and the texture work is notably low resolution. And despite being mostly computer generated, it never takes full advantage of that either - action scenes are a mess of motion blur in an attempt to emulate regular film at 23.97fps.

It's technically impressive, in that no other filmmaker has made films showing what it does in CG with as much detail. But the deliberate decision to use CG so heavily in a way that feels unnecessary, and the effect that has on the visual design of the film is what turns me off its visual style.

In disliking its visuals, I disagree with a lot of people who like or dislike the film, largely because both camps mostly agree that it's a great looking film.

Wow. I can honestly say that I've never heard that perspective on the movie. I didn't care too much for Avatar as I viewed as a rip-off of Dances With Wolves, Ferngully, Pocahontas, and others just with a bloated budget and runtime, but at the same time I felt like some of the visuals were pretty impressive looking. SOME of the visuals. There were some aspects of the visuals that I thought were pretty cheap looking.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 12:25 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:

The writing was atrocious, even for an unoriginal story with no depth.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 6:56 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:

The writing was atrocious, even for an unoriginal story with no depth.

IKR? I mean, the rock they're trying to get that's so expensive is called "unobtainium". Honestly, how lazier can you get than that?