Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 3:04 am

In 'Autism Goes to College,' Manhattan Beach filmmaker Documentary details facing college challenges for students on the autism spectrum

Quote:
The film “Autistic-Like: Graham's Story,” from Manhattan Beach filmmaker Erik Linthorst, reached more than 85 million homes on PBS back in 2011. Now, years later, Linthorst's documentary film “Autism Goes to College,” premieres at the Aero Theater in Santa Monica Wednesday, April 17, for Autism Awareness Month.

“Autism Goes to College,” which also screens at the Newport Beach Film Festival on Sunday, April 28, follows five college students who are on the the autism spectrum and how they navigate a challenging new world on and off campus.

Linthorst said proceeds from the April 17 screening benefit the development of an online resource center, which could include more than 30 hours of interviews shot for the documentary, to help families their autistic children in their college selection process.

The Graduate School of Education at UC Riverside was instrumental in funding the documentary, with the help of Associate Dean Jan Blacher, who has been using “Autistic-Like” in her classroom for years. She had approached Linthorst about producing a film about the growing number of autistic students on college campuses and how the issue was being addressed.

With the help of Blacher's contacts in the autism world and other means, Linthorst found five students from nearby college campuses for the documentary. The students span the autism spectrum, are male and female, live independently or with parents, and have different ethnic backgrounds.

In the documentary, the students deal with issues such as roommate situations, homesickness and handling money. Linthorst features sit-down interviews and interactions in social settings.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman