Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2019, 11:08 am

Hi, I'm worried as tomorrow I'm going out with 4 friends to town, this will involve going to at least 3 busy, noisy bars . I don't care to drink much now so I'm not able to "escape" using that. I get bad social anxiety
I notice I look around an awful lot at people, perhaps more than the people I'm with. If I really try focus on my own group and not gawk at Everything else going on like the crowds or the lights, might it help me not get so overwhelmed? Thanks

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 11:20 am

Ear plugs might help. Won't help with the press of people around you, though. Good luck.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 12:13 pm

Going out is hard for me too because I don't drink. The noise doesn't worry me, but it makes it hard to hear the people I'm with. The last time I went to a bar it was so packed out that everybody were like sardines and I could barely breathe. We had to wait about 40 minutes to get served, and every time I moved I tripped over someone's foot. I suppose these sorts of places are more enjoyable to be at if you drink, or if you're really extroverted.

I am a total non-drinker, so I know how you feel. I also have social anxiety, and I feel like people are judging me. What I try to do when in a bar is try to trick my body into thinking I'm having a good time, and then you'll loosen up a bit. So I try to laugh and smile a lot, and engage in conversation with the people I'm with, although it can be hard if you can't hear over the noise.

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2019, 1:27 pm

Thanks so much for both replies, maybe it'll be quieter than it used to be. Maybe!
Like you say Joe, everyone seems drunk or extroverted in these places, which makes it so much more scary!
I hate the fact its in the evening too, like I got all day to build it up and stress!
Saying that when I'm 85 I'll probably be fretting over going to a tea party at 11am. 8O

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 1:39 pm

I second the recommendation of earplugs, though I tend to wear headphones and play music. I keep the volume low enough to where I can still hear the people I'm with but also loud enough to drown out other noises.

Focusing on your party will help too.

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2019, 3:19 pm

BrokenPieces wrote:
I second the recommendation of earplugs, though I tend to wear headphones and play music. I keep the volume low enough to where I can still hear the people I'm with but also loud enough to drown out other noises.

Thank you all you kind and knowledgeable people! If anyone feels extra kind maybe they'll be my stand in double and go on my behalf :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 3:27 pm

Map84 wrote:
BrokenPieces wrote:

Thank you all you kind and knowledgeable people! If anyone feels extra kind maybe they'll be my stand in double and go on my behalf :lol:

Well...I live in the UK too so I guess I'll have to... :lol:

Good luck anyway, and tell us how it went. :D

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 4:02 pm

I think we should all go and pretend to be you... we could have an "I'm Spartacus" moment.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2019, 5:09 am

Trueno wrote:
I think we should all go and pretend to be you... we could have an "I'm Spartacus" moment.
Joe90 wrote:
Map84 wrote:
BrokenPieces wrote:

Well...I live in the UK too so I guess I'll have to... :lol:

Good luck anyway, and tell us how it went. :D

DEAL!! !! ! :) woke up feeling reasonable about it this morning, bit anxious but by my standards that's great, normally I while away the day shivering and sweating!

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2019, 8:07 pm

Went pretty well, back home ready for bed now :) ty everyone