When I feel depressed for no reason

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 6:31 pm

It annoys me because if I can't identify the cause I can't fix it.

Conversely, when I feel happy for no reason, I can't identify the cause so I can't repeat it.

This lack of understanding means I can't control my mood. I feel lower than Satan's basement and I don't know why. What can I do?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 6:36 pm

Does looking out from your terrace at the city view help your mood?

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 6:43 pm

Omg I get depressed all the time for no reason. And sometimes happy for no reason.

I might be dpressed from being alone in a room all day. But I dont think I should get depressed from that. Theres plenty of other people who are happy being alone so I dont get why I cant be happy that way.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 7:25 pm

I don't think mood is something you can control, except possibly by meditation. My moods go here and there with no particular cause, or there is a reasonable cause, but that reasonable cause isn't replicable. I try to enjoy it when it is good and hang on when its bad.

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 1:43 am

i have pretty much full understanding of my mood swings, and yet i still cant control it. pretty much depends on people i care about. yes, i can engage in activities that make me feel better. and sometimes it is not as fulfilling as it normally is. depression doesnt exactly and only depends on ur activities, it is an internal neurophysiological thing. it happens because ur neuromediator production goes south. and can f**k up ur happyness "for no reason", while actual reason is, u didnt get internal chemicals in place. so well, some people get meds that help that. some people learn to live with depression. ur choice.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Apr 2019, 3:07 am

It's called alexithymia.
It took me two years of therapy to come to a point where I can roughly identify my "reasons" - or rather, I can identify my feelings with more precision than "very pleasant - very unpleasant".
I did a bit of the work myself, noticing correlations - in high school, I noticed feeling unloved always follows a missed lunch. I didn't feel hungry, I felt unloved.
I couldn't identify overstimulation as a source of my discomfort until I dug about autism and learned the word. I just felt horribly uncomfortable but everyone was telling me I should be happy.
My social anviety builds up for weeks so it's easy to miss the triggering point.
So, I guess, I know what you mean.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 3:59 am

That would be difficult to deal with. I had that kind of phenomenon on occasion when I was a young teenager but it was probably just hormones then. I've been proficient at identifying the source of my moods ever since.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 8:51 am

Do you have some kind of medication? Some meds can cause depression or other kind of mood changes in some people as side effects.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Apr 2019, 12:14 pm

I had that problem when I was suffering from a psychotic depression. Meds helped hold me together some while I made changes in life & my maturity which I think helped me get over it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 6:18 pm

Meditation

Medication

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 7:47 am

Clinical depression is being depressed for no reason. It's a brain chemistry problem.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 8:06 am

EzraS wrote:
Clinical depression is being depressed for no reason. It's a brain chemistry problem.

But most of the time I have a reason. I'm used to having a reason. It disturbs me when I don't have a reason.

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 9:05 am

like we said a lot here allready, the reason is in ur neuromediator production being botched. that is the biggest and most serious reason. depression isnt about being stressed or sad for external reasons, its about having ur organism f****d up in a way. being sad for a reason is just an emotion, however intense it can be.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Apr 2019, 10:16 am

Sometimes when people are depressed they feel like they have good reason to be but their reason isn't something that would make most people depressed & the only reason the person feels depressed about it is cuz they were already in a bad mood anyway. That was my experience sometimes when I was depressed.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 10:26 am

yes, after over a decade of depression i pratically know my neuromediator level now xD like by how i react to same stimuli. no endorphine = everything hits like a truck

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 9:40 pm

serpentari wrote:
like we said a lot here allready, the reason is in ur neuromediator production being botched. that is the biggest and most serious reason. depression isnt about being stressed or sad for external reasons, its about having ur organism f****d up in a way. being sad for a reason is just an emotion, however intense it can be.

I still think it counts as depression when I have enough reasons. Depression can be a symptom of shít life syndrome. Or maybe I only think I have a shít life when I have a normal life because of the depression.

Does having a bad life cause depression or does having depression cause me to think I have a bad life?