Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 9:52 pm

Recent email I got says "An package containing confidential personal information was sent to you". Sent by: United States Postal Service <[email protected]> Oh yeah, that looks just like a US government email address, doesn't it? I'm going to start clicking those links right away :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 8:58 am

I'm glad you're smart enough to know it's a ripoff.

And even smarter for warning us who might be very naïve about it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 9:00 am

EzraS wrote:
Recent email I got says "An package containing confidential personal information was sent to you". Sent by: United States Postal Service <[email protected]> Oh yeah, that looks just like a US government email address, doesn't it? I'm going to start clicking those links right away :roll:
What?!

And neglect the Nigerian Prince?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 4:25 pm

What if the Nigerian prince sent a bomb?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 4:27 pm

Speaking for the general population of people with intellectual disabilities, but have learned to read and write and use the internet, this can be a problem.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 4:01 am

blazingstar wrote:
Speaking for the general population of people with intellectual disabilities, but have learned to read and write and use the internet, this can be a problem.

That's true. I can't expect others to think about looking at and deciphering the legitimacy of a sender email address.

It was in my junk email box and identified as spam, which I should have mentioned. So that tipped me off of course.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Apr 2019, 6:39 am

What's even more ridiculous than those emails are the 1s where they say they have a vid of you masturbating & they'll release it online if you don't send em money :lol:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 11:33 am

nick007 wrote:
What's even more ridiculous than those emails are the 1s where they say they have a vid of you masturbating & they'll release it online if you don't send em money :lol:

wait... that was fake?

I use a TV monitor connected to my laptop which is about three feet away from my desk on a small file cabinet. Anyone who hacks into the camera will get a nice view of a wall.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 3:48 am

Meanwhile, at a CIA Secret Base:

"That's right, sir. We disguised our emergency information drop as an obvious scam-email. We're banking on true american patriots opening it without hesitation. Why? That's classified."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 5:38 am

EzraS wrote:

Apparently they think that you are such an moron, and such a idiot that you would would open an package accompanied by an note with that kind of bad grammar!

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 12:29 am

They do it on purpose because their target audience is people who are going to fall for scams, and if you're stupid enough to fall for the scam, you're probably stupid enough to not pick up on obvious grammar mistakes and an incorrectly typed email address.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 8:47 pm

Your loss. I just got one of those, and now that I have given them my details, I am awaiting an inheritance from my unknown grand uncle in Nigeria. I never even knew he existed, and yet this sweet man has left all his millions to me! How touching is that? I can't wait to have the moneys rolling in :mrgreen:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 1:07 pm

The very first time I got a threatening scam call from the "IRS" claiming I owed them money and that I would be arrested actually initially scared me to the point of feeling my own sphincter pucker. It hit me a few seconds later that this was just a bunch of baloney. That's nothing. Listen to this: You know how we aspies can do things that others can't do like remembering things really well. I would swear that I heard that same voice that threatened me arguing with a store clerk in my local Home Depot store. If I could be sure without a reasonable doubt, I would have liked to punch this woman square in the face without any remorse whatsoever - if I could get away with it - which would be unlikely even if she was the one that made the call. Everybody should invest in a paper shreader. Just last week, a car was picking up trash bags off my street the night before trash day...and some dude was dumpster diving in a complex behind my house.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 1:57 pm

Quote:
An older adult’s low awareness of scams may be an indicator that he or she may receive a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease or mild cognitive impairment in the future, according to the results of a study published in Annals of Internal Medicine.

Researchers in Chicago asked 935 older adults to complete a “scam awareness questionnaire” that asked five questions about behaviors related to openness to sales pitches, interest in potentially risky investments, and awareness of higher scam vulnerability due to older age. None of the older adults had received a dementia diagnosis at that time.

https://www.mcknightsseniorliving.com/h ... diagnosis/