Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2019, 12:31 am

I know that both are, probably, fictitious, (I know Richard the Lionhearted was real, because I'm a descendant of his.)
, and may have lived a couple of hundred years apart, but I'm wondering, based on some of the legends of both, how they'd have gotten along together.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 8:53 am

Looks like you have a premise for a comic book -- sorta like Batman meets Superman.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

WildColonial
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 4:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
Looks like you have a premise for a comic book -- sorta like Batman meets Superman.

I would read this over and over.

“‘Why was I chosen?’ ‘Such questions cannot be answered,’ said Gandalf. ‘You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.’”

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 6:38 pm

The only difficulty being how to explain the anachronistic meeting of the two legendary figures. Robin Hood allegedly lived during the time of King Richard the Lion-Hearted (1157-1199), while King Arthur Pendragon allegedly lived several centuries earlier (Late 400s to early 500s).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 6:52 pm

There would have had a language barrier----unless both knew Latin.

It is said that Richard the Lion-Hearted hardly knew English, and he certainly didn't know a Celtic language. He was, primarily, a French speaker.

Arthur was not an Anglo-Saxon king. The Anglo-Saxons were his invaders.

It is said that Richard was actually in England only 6 months out of his 10-year reign.

Who knows? If Arthur or Richard could have gone in a time machine, and they would have met, maybe they would have gotten along.

Richard didn't get along too well with the French King, Philip----so maybe Richard had a big ego, which would have precluded Richard and Arthur becoming fast friends.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 6:30 am

I think Arthur would have liked Robin.

And inserted him into his Round Table as the Man who can get the Scoop on all which threaten his kingdom.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 5:01 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There would have had a language barrier----unless both knew Latin.

It is said that Richard the Lion-Hearted hardly knew English, and he certainly didn't know a Celtic language. He was, primarily, a French speaker.

Arthur was not an Anglo-Saxon king. The Anglo-Saxons were his invaders.

It is said that Richard was actually in England only 6 months out of his 10-year reign.

Who knows? If Arthur or Richard could have gone in a time machine, and they would have met, maybe they would have gotten along.

Richard didn't get along too well with the French King, Philip----so maybe Richard had a big ego, which would have precluded Richard and Arthur becoming fast friends.

We are talking about Robin Hood meeting Arthur, not about Richard the Lion Hearted meeting Arthur.

One of Richard's supposed subjects: Robin Hood, would have been a local Anglo Saxon peasant rebelling, and waging asymmetrical warfare, against the Norman oppressors. Robin Hood would have spoken regular Anglo Saxon English, and not French.

Arthur, as stated above, was a supposed Celtic chieftain who fought against both rival Celtic cheiftans, and against the ancestors of Robin Hood: the Anglo Saxon invaders of Britain from the mainland of Europe (ie north Germany).

So there still would be a language Barrier: Between Robin's Germanic Eleventh Century Middle English, and Arthur's Sixth Century Celtic proto-Welsh.

If they had gone through time warps and met each other?

To put it into American terms:

Geronimo led the Apache in a long struggle against White invaders of his land in New Mexico. But if he had fallen through a time warp, and ended up in the 1940's he might well have volunteered to join the Navajo "Code Talkers" to help the White dominated US defend the nation against the German/Japanese threat during WWII.

Likewise if Arthur and traveled forward in a time machine he might have seen the Anglo Saxon Robin Hood as any ally against a common foreign enemy (the Normans) even though Robin Hood was himself descended from invaders foreign to Arthur.