Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 1:51 pm

For a song with words etc, then maybe

But I'd rather...

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 11:38 am

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by EDM?

I know what the abbreviation stands for, just that I'm not entirely sure that people don't mean specific sub-genres of electronic music. For example when people said 'electronica' back in the late 90's or early 2000's they seemed to mean Big Beat - ie. Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Eiffel 65, etc.. These days I'd 'think' when people say EDM they mean Deadmau5, Avicii, etc., specifically sort of pop-dance. Am I right in that last assessment or do you mean something slightly different?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 11:56 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by EDM?

I know what the abbreviation stands for, just that I'm not entirely sure that people don't mean specific sub-genres of electronic music. For example when people said 'electronica' back in the late 90's or early 2000's they seemed to mean Big Beat - ie. Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Eiffel 65, etc.. These days I'd 'think' when people say EDM they mean Deadmau5, Avicii, etc., specifically sort of pop-dance. Am I right in that last assessment or do you mean something slightly different?

Genres that fall under EDM
Trance
House
Techno
Dubstep
many others
EDM is very wide ranging, and when someone says the word they don't just mean pop dance.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 12:00 pm

Got it.

I've had a long-running drum n bass thread (28 pages now mostly solo), SnailHail had a Trip Hop thread of similar length and I think there might have been a dubstep thread albeit it was shorter lived.

It's tougher to get a house, trance, techno, psytrance, etc. thread going mostly because they tend not to spread out too much farther than the dj's and producers themselves (I was really wild about acid techno, progressive trance, and some psytrance when I was younger but mostly fall back on dnb now).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 12:01 pm

They don't have the right version on youtube, this is what I could find of one of my favorite songs of all time.

:light the skies" cerf mitiska and jaren original

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 1:02 pm

I think Ivy Lab's half-time works well out in this area: