do u think math/physics/philosophy are superior subjects

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 8:04 am

Managing typically requires social skills that Aspies don't have. But yeah, a liberal arts degree at a good school is all you need with excellent leadership skills to become a manager. And maybe a lucky break or two.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 8:10 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Or, to put it another way, the sciences can be ranked from "Superior" to "Inferior" in the following way:

1 - Mathematics
2 - Physics
3 - Chemistry
4 - Biology
5 - Psychology
6 - Social Sciences
7 - Artistry
8 - Fast-Food Service

In/out buger ('fast food') managers make 160k/year.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/na ... 065434001/

Try and beat that with a STEM degree.

I personally know of at least three people who are in the seven figures per year club with their PhD in chemistry:

1.) One graduated a semester before me and is now a Vice President of a pharmaceutical company. He started there right out of college and worked his way up the ladder. His stock options alone are in the eight figures.

2.) Another was a postdoc in my research group before moving to the Middle East to work for a large oil company. He is set for life there, no housing costs, everything paid for. Saudi Arabia is his cup of tea.

3.) The last one also has a JD and is a patent attorney for large corporations. His retirement pay from his previous school job is over $10,000/month, but makes ten times that with his other job.

Not all STEM jobs are poor paying. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 8:28 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Or, to put it another way, the sciences can be ranked from "Superior" to "Inferior" in the following way:

1 - Mathematics
2 - Physics
3 - Chemistry
4 - Biology
5 - Psychology
6 - Social Sciences
7 - Artistry
8 - Fast-Food Service

SOME In & Out managers make that much. And while my yearly salary is not quite that high, the dividends from my investments more than make up the difference.

Now, try to figure out how many of those fast-food service workers have developed new algorithms, discovered new particles, patented new polymers, produced new vaccines, or come up with a better screening method for autism spectrum disorders. Then ask a social worker or an artist what contributions they have made for the advancement of the human species.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 8:36 am

What everybody is leaving out is how useful various "trades" are.

I understand, of course, that engineers and architects are required to build buildings----but how about the ones who are actually building the buildings? Or installing the electricity and plumbing? Things like that.

The UK acknowledges this more than the US. They have parallel and equivalent "qualifications" in both academics and trade subjects.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 8:40 am

I don't make a lot of money, but I have saved enough just from my salary to be able to retire whenever I get tired of working. :D

And, yeah, I should be OK no matter what happens to Social Security.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 8:43 am

The world is an ecosystem. We need people doing every type of job for society to function.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 8:44 am

We have what are called "Professional Engineers" who undergo apprenticeships, study hard, take exams, and get licensed in their particular trades.

When you see someone's contact information, and the letters "PE" are appended after their name, then you know that the person has earn their title by "coming up through the ranks", instead of just taking classes and labs at a university.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 8:46 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The world is an ecosystem. We need people doing every type of job for society to function.
The work needs to be done, this much is true; but robots can perform better at jobs that are monotonous, repetitive, and that do not require any thought or creativity to perform.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 8:55 am

We need humans for "quality control."

Robots don't have the ability, yet, to correct their mistakes (i.e., the mistakes made by humans in programming them).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 9:00 am

Fnord wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
The work needs to be done, this much is true; but robots can perform better at jobs that are monotonous, repetitive, and that do not require any thought or creativity to perform.

"Can" and "Should" are moralistic fallacies, hence the role of Philosophy (ethics, logic, epistemology). Perhaps we need few humans on the planet at all?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 9:03 am

I certainly wouldn't want a robot to drive my car. They would go by the guidance of the GPS. Sometimes, the GPS "guides" you over a cliff......

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 9:05 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Fnord wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
"Can" and "Should" are moralistic fallacies, hence the role of Philosophy (ethics, logic, epistemology). Perhaps we need few humans on the planet at all?
Sure, but why employ humans who can only work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and only when they feel like it when you can install a machine that can perform the same tasks more efficiently, effectively, and economically 24/7/365?

Then you can afford to hire just 1 engineer and 3 technicians to keep those 100 robots running, while the displaced workers can sell shoes and flip burgers to their hearts' contentment...

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 9:18 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Fnord wrote:

1 - Mathematics
2 - Physics
3 - Chemistry
4 - Biology
5 - Psychology
6 - Social Sciences
7 - Artistry
8 - Fast-Food Service

https://mfe.haas.berkeley.edu/careers/mfe-placements

159K average first year salary. I'm betting they'll clear 160k real soon.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 11:16 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

"Need" is a strong word

Drastic things would happen, without bus drivers or janitor

Drastic things would not happen, without musicians and dancers

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2019, 8:41 am

If I needed surgery, I would rather have an appropriately-trained and licensed surgeon perform the surgery than a street mime with only a Master of Arts degree in American History.

But if I wanted to be entertained, any old street mime would do, no matter what degree(s) he (or she) did (or did not) have.