Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 2:12 am

Caffeine exacerbates my executive functioning disorder...

https://youtu.be/LQ5coA0tTJU

Autistic/scout motto: "Give me a better argument and I will listen..."
"Honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8) I'm a rationalist...Deal with it...:mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 11:40 am

Executive Dysfunction is a very common co morbid with autism.

Because it covers such a broad area I would venture many if not most autistics only grasp part of it so this video is useful.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 1:09 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Because it covers such a broad area I would venture many if not most autistics only grasp part of it so this video is useful.

Executive dysfunction can be mitigated...

"Honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8) I'm a rationalist...Deal with it...:mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 1:15 pm

Trump.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 2:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Trump.

In many ways, yes... :wink:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 2:59 pm

Sounds like the story of my life.

breaks0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2019, 3:25 pm

Sorry I can't see the video. But just to be clear, Executive Function is something you need to be working "normally" to plan, organize, perform/execute and finish one or more tasks or larger projects. As Part says, it's common for ASD people, like me, to have problems w/it. I certainly do and it's particularly screwed me up in the handful of jobs I've ever had and in school, especially. And my issues w/it in grad school haven't improved w/time, in some ways they've gotten worse to the point that for now I'm paralyzed when it comes time to write a term or research paper (or even doing the research). Hoping the CBT I've just started w/my new therapist (combined w/a non-amphetamine based medication for Exec Functioning and Focus issues will help me alleviate these problems.

And I can certainly imagine caffeine making it worse in some people, similar to how the last two amphetamine-based medications I've tried have wrecked my sleep so I had to stop taking them.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 3:49 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I was under the impression that all autistics had this problem as a result of a neurological commonality...
If this isn't the case, I feel cheated, once again...

This could explain why some autistics have excellent memories...

kayell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Apr 2019, 3:56 pm

This is the story of my life. It's a miracle I was able to stay employed most of the time. The changing seasons and physical cues were probably what made the gardener job the best one. It was almost always obvious what needed to be done next. Nonetheless, I had to keep endless lists.

The real problems came with the annual planting plans, getting the plant orders into the greenhouse on time, getting the outside orders placed, and hitting all the planting date deadlines, especially when we had to organize volunteers. (OMG volunteer training and recruitment - when this was required because we couldn't hire seasonal workers! Let just say it was not one of my strong abilities)

Getting ready to immigrate with all the paperwork (my nemesis) is seriously stretching my abilities to deal with this. I'll hit all my deadlines, but there's government offices involved too. I'm planning a nice quiet* nervous breakdown as soon as I get off the plane.

*hopefully quiet and private

Thanks for the video, I'll be rewatching it a few times. and taking notes. :lol:

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 4:08 pm

kayell wrote:

Thanks for the video, I'll be rewatching it a few times. and taking notes. :lol:

I'm autistic...
It's my job to be helpful... :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 4:09 pm

breaks0 wrote:
Sorry I can't see the video.

Go to youtube and put "What is Executive Dysfunction?" into the search engine...

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 4:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvuN_WvF1to

Considering that Science Shows the Average Human Being 'These Days'
has an Attention Span less than a Gold Fish; true, Cognitive Executive Dysfunction
has become a Staple of Humanity that Culture Continues to Feed with continuous
Distraction; Oh Lord, to be Retired and do just one thing at a time; What a Heaven that
will be as that is what Humans are Evolved to do; sure, for Hundreds of Thousands of Years,
Forage Hand-in-Hand for Subsistence; a little 'work of the night' on the Side; and the Village Raises
the Child where there are Clearly Defined Social Roles, where everyone's name is basically "norm" unless
one is Born 'Two Spirited' as such in an Indian Tribe; and Celebrated as a Holy Person who is Special and Unique.
All i Do is Dance
And Sing and i never
Stop; i Dance And Sing;
True, it might be otherwise Functionally
Disabling but All i have to Do is Dance And Sing;
for it is also True, all my Wife Does is all the Rest; all the Rest..;)

Seriously, though; and i was being Serious about that; got a serious aversion to anything but the Truth, the Truth and the
Whole Truth now; Oxytocin Helps Executive Functioning; So Does Meditative Movement to Regulate Emotions and Integrate Senses; otherwise known as a Free Dance too. Emotions are the Glue of Memory; Regulate Emotions that
are fueled comfortably by the Neurohormone (might help to pet a cat) Oxytocin; yes, all other Neurohormones and
Neurochemicals in Balance helps too; can't get there as great, without Bio-Feedback; Pills work just a bit better than the
Placebo Effect.

Smiles, I used to not be able to write anything but a to do list of firstly, secondly, thirdly; but since i started a Free Write
in Meditative Flow through A Bio-Feedback of that; and a Free Dance in Flow that's where Maximum Laser Focus comes And Memory Works best in Flow; where all the Neurohormones and Neurochemicals are optimally Balanced for Success in a continuous Win of Life; and all that means is fulfilling what you wanna do now; it's true, there are mostly more 'no limits' when in Flow in Harmony and Peace of Cognitive Executive Functioning From Yes, Head to Toe; A Huge Mistake that some 'Old School' Psychology Folks Make is Leaving the Body out of the Mind Equation; True. we are a bit more
than an Organ between our ears; We also Play Better and Work Better in Mind and Body Balance; Leave out the
Body and chances are we Lose much of our Potential in the Arts and Sciences Equation of Life to Function.

Note: A Squirrel Came to the Window;
so i 'had' to take a photo; if it seems i was distracted writing this;
True, when you get Re-Tired and Financially Independent, the Option of doing more Yin than Yang is Real.

Honestly; Almost Nothing 'That Woman' was talking about is Part of what we are Naturally Evolved to do; that's A Real Problem; Living a Life Centered Around Abstract Constructs; Absorbed in a Sea of Words Written Down We Read is all Culturally 'contrived'; Welcome to the Matrix. What? No 'One' welcomed You? No one Prepared You?

NDD; Nature Deficit Disorder really makes life not so nice and not so good.
By The Way, Happy Earth Day; leaving a Video Now to Celebrate the Cure too; hehe...:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

23 Apr 2019, 6:07 am

The thing I've learned is that you can be quite an achieved person, show competence to other adults, and yet if at any time in general you show difficulty speaking you've proven that you're an imbecile and something deeply inferior to those around you - the rest sort of just evaporates permanently and you can never overcome the shadow cast by your occasional difficulty speaking. The same seems to go for having to do a new task more slowly than others.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 6:40 am

I wonder whether you can have global executive functioning difficulties or just specific EF difficulties. The ones that stand out for me are organising and planning and organisation of materials . The latter one was especially evident at school. I struggle with multi step tasks and sequencing. Shifting is a possible difficulty.

http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)