Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2019, 4:02 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Let us know when you hear back from the Indiana job. I sure hope you don't decide you can't take it because of husband's medical benefits. If you are even tempted to decide that - think twice.

SSA and DHS said they really can't tell me anything right now...

I found out our food stamps are so low because there is a new rule where food stamps are greatly affected by your electric and heating bill... If your heat and electric are part of your rent they kinda assume you have more cash money so they cut food stamps drastically, in our apartment all utilities are included so we are out of luck...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2019, 1:10 pm

Hmmm... I go all the way to a job staffing agency that asked me to come in only to be told "we don't have any suitable jobs for you"

Then I get an email from another job that I applied to over a month ago saying "we're going to review applications soon." That job is a year long but what it provides is room and board and a small stipend. I don't think it would mess with our benefits much but it's on an island off the coast of California... Yikes!

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 11:41 am

I feel like emailing the Indiana job again but I realize that she probably needs time to hear back from all references and she probably interviewed I don't know how many other people (when they Interview people about how many people do they Interview?)

It's hard waiting!

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 2:13 pm

I'm torn now... Now I found out the drop-in center is hiring... Not only is that place only two blocks from where I live but my friend is the director and is doing the hiring...

Plus another place very close to my apartment is hiring...

Anyway these jobs don't pay as well, but I wouldn't have to relocate and I could simply walk to work... And the chance to work with my very best friend who I like because she's geeky as heck (I went over there today and she was wearing a Pokemon shirt) lol

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 4:24 pm

How are the benefits?

You might lose your Medicaid if you make too much.

And Michigan seems to suck as far as people between Medicaid and rich are concerned.

Massachusetts and California are pretty good in this sort of thing.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 4:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How are the benefits?

You might lose your Medicaid if you make too much.

And Michigan seems to suck as far as people between Medicaid and rich are concerned.

Those are just part time minimum wage jobs with no benefits... I don't even know if I would even make a significant amount of money. The Indiana job is full time benefits position... I don't know...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 4:41 pm

I know it’s a hard decision for you. I feel for you....trust me.

I would be concerned with both benefits and job security.

Is the Indiana position squarely in your field?

I feel there’s always a risk when you work with kids. Bosses and parents tend to be hyper-vigilant.

Whereas working with animals comes more naturally to you.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 5:09 pm

Angnix wrote:
Hmmm... I go all the way to a job staffing agency that asked me to come in only to be told "we don't have any suitable jobs for you"

Then I get an email from another job that I applied to over a month ago saying "we're going to review applications soon." That job is a year long but what it provides is room and board and a small stipend. I don't think it would mess with our benefits much but it's on an island off the coast of California... Yikes!

California job is not compatible with your marriage. I doubt the room and board includes a mate, and even if it did, you'd be on an island so medical care would be iffy. And for him to move to Cali where rents are high, is not a possibility.

Some of your other prospects seem ok, and I am crossing my fingers for that bird ID job in Indiana which would be quite good for you, I feel, and you could make weekend trips back to visit your husband or he could move to Indiana.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 5:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know it’s a hard decision for you. I feel for you....trust me.

I would be concerned with both benefits and job security.

Is the Indiana position squarely in your field?

I feel there’s always a risk when you work with kids. Bosses and parents tend to be hyper-vigilant.

Whereas working with animals comes more naturally to you.

The California job is probably not appropriate anyway because it's bird care and I could barely do that last time, feeding birds and cleaning their cages all day.

The Indiana job is squarely in my field. They are looking for someone to survey birds (I was really good at that in Ohio), specifically someone with strong Midwestern bird skills (being from Michigan and doing my other bird jobs in Ohio and Wisconsin I got that covered) and someone that has raptor Id skills because part of the job is eagle observations (I worked both up close with raptors and also at a hawk watch site where raptors are counted and taught about raptors) the other part of the job I would have to be trained, setting up equipment to record bat sounds.