Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

NoMercy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Apr 2019, 8:18 am

I often get handy advice on how to think from my parents !

"You could change your routines with a mentor"
"Try exercising regularly"
"You should try mindfulness"
"Be less analytical!"

I've tried to explain that the problems I have with "inflexible thinking" are due to wiring. This is exactly what the professionals told me when I got my diagnosis, and many years of counselling and applying such techniques as mindfulness and CBT and exercise (prior to my diagnosis) produced limited results in line with that. I don't rule out trying anything, but these techniques of course don't work for me like they do for a neurotypical person.

How do you get it across to an older generation that your behaviours are a neurological issue?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 11:52 am

Don't even try. Thank them for the advice and leave it at that.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 3:08 pm

Since this is your fourth post - welcome to wrong planet.
I chuckled a little when you said "How do you get it across to an older generation that your behaviours are a neurological issue?" - that is because at age 49, you are part of the older generation.

NoMercy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Apr 2019, 12:48 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Since this is your fourth post - welcome to wrong planet.

Thank you! :P

jimmy m wrote:
I chuckled a little when you said "How do you get it across to an older generation that your behaviours are a neurological issue?" - that is because at age 49, you are part of the older generation.

Hah! Yeah I guess so.. propertly middle aged now..

I'm really talking about the baby boomer generation. I mean I guess these things are cyclical, their parents were probably "we had it so hard, you snowflakes" etc... but there juts seems to be something about the baby boomer generation that they don't/can't/refuse to 'get' the neurological basis of HF autism..

Actual I think @BTDT your advice I've seen before, and it makes sense.. being an Aspie of course means that I have this inner compunction to correct misrepresentations. I wish I could control that impulse, but annoyingly, if I 'let things slide' it eats away at me ...

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 8:52 pm

Your profile says you are 49

So why do you have to explain it to your parents?

They might not be receptive

Having said that, mindfulness could help

Exercise could help or hurt

Think outside the box

Logic is not superior to emotion

Sometimes logic is necessary

Sometimes emotion is necessary

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 9:25 pm

NoMercy wrote:
I'm really talking about the baby boomer generation. I mean I guess these things are cyclical, their parents were probably "we had it so hard, you snowflakes" etc... but there juts seems to be something about the baby boomer generation that they don't/can't/refuse to 'get' the neurological basis of HF autism..

This is an unwarranted generalization about a group of people, and just as flawed as most stereotypes.