Is having a fear of dating the same as asexual?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

27 Apr 2019, 12:39 pm

So I actually don't want to date anyone. Is that the same as asexual? I really don't like romantic movies, songs or books. I feel sick seeing or hearing that stuff. I know I never want to date anyone because it's too complicated but yet I also feel jealous listening to other people being happy about being with somebody. Aren't I weird?

swordrat32
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2019, 6:11 pm

Disclaimer: I'm not asexual and haven't done that much reading/learning about it. One thought I had reading your post is that you're talking about not wanting romance, which may be separate from whether you want sex.

There are asexual people who do want romance and some who don't, and it's also possible to want casual sex without a romantic relationship. It might be worth thinking about both of those elements and how they apply to you at this time.

I also noticed in your title you reference fear. It makes total sense to me (i.e. no it doesn't sound weird) that you could want sex and/or romance and also fear it or find it not worth the trouble while still feeling wistful for it.

BlueIris24
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2019, 5:19 pm

From what I'm aware of, it's not.

Asexual means having no sexual desire, which is different from dating or romance. You can be in a romantic relationship and still be asexual. Usually, romantic relationships are also sexual, but not always.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 9:35 pm

You could be aromantic. An aromantic person has no desire for romantic relationships. It may or may not be associated with asexuality, and the two are not mutually exclusive.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 5:35 pm

No, not at all, but Warrier is right; there may or may not be connections between asexuality and being aromantic.

Sis84
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jun 2019, 6:42 am

I know how the poster feels, even as an adult female, I feel as though I’m an AroAce (Aromantic Asexual)..I still feel uncomfortable at weddings and baby showers to this day..I think I’ve noticed I was different a few years ago. I can’t even handle movies like ‘My Big Fat Greek Wedding’ due to the french kissing scenes. I can even hear them kiss which makes me uneasy... Anyone else feel this way?

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 7:02 pm

No. I am an asexual, female heterosexual. I have always been attracted "romantically" to men but only had sex to keep them around because they wanted it. I didn't need the sex nor did I want the sex. It was a tool for me.