How on Earth is my first year already over?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 1:59 pm

Well, almost. I still have one final presentation to do. But then, that's it. 8O I feel like I've slipped into another universe. :lol: Where did the year go? How am I almost a second year already? Are all my years going to be this quick? I don't wanna go on a break just yet. Granted, it might seem weird, but I kind of want another assignment.

I don't know what to do with my spare time. Guess I could always find an online tutorial for something. Or attempt to find part time work in the Summer. Maybe both.

Also, how am I almost twenty? I feel like a sixteen year old who managed to sneak in to student halls, and nobody has realised. I've no idea what to ask for when I'm asked about what I want for my birthday.

How I even got into university is a wonder. Sometimes it seems as though everyone is weirdly confident about how I'm doing, but I'm not. I know that nobody really knows what they're doing, particularly students, but still.

AAAAAAAAA.

That is all. :lol: A big thank you for reading this, er, contemplation. :lmao: :mrgreen: I'm in a weird mood.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 2:52 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
Are all my years going to be this quick?

Not that quick, no... As you get older they'll seem to get even faster! 8O (Especially the good ones! :wink: )

Lost_dragon wrote:
Also, how am I almost twenty? I feel like a sixteen year old who managed to sneak in to student halls, and nobody has realised. I've no idea what to ask for when I'm asked about what I want for my birthday.

This eased for me as the years passed. I don't mean that it went away - just that now that I'm nearly fifty, it doesn't surprise me quite as much as it used to! :lol:

As the old saying goes; "time flies when you're having fun", and your enthusiasm for your studies is really nice to read about! :D

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 2:53 pm

I would go with the summer job idea.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 4:58 pm

I spoke to a few final year students today, one of them had a sixty-one page dissertation to write! 8O Another was jealous of my lack of responsibilities as a first year. I've heard that your first year doesn't matter all that much, it's your second year where your grades truly start to count.

Of course, doing well in your first year helps. But the final years are apparently quite strict. Everything is a lot more scheduled. On my University course I have to write a dissertation as well (during my final year), but thankfully it's a nowhere near sixty-one pages.

Most of my work is visual rather than wordy. I don't have traditional exams to deal with, but I do have to manage annoying clients. The kind of people who expect University students to do their work for free...well, they're usually not the best to work with.

"What do you mean you can't do the work outside of your deadlines? I want you to make me famous, can't you just drop all of your other modules? Don't you care about my business? What do you mean this complicated task that I've added just now without warning will take longer to complete?"

Ah, people. Just be glad you're getting all of this for free. I did get paid once for a commission (which they agreed to from the get-go), but only after they were tracked down when they tried to get away with "Oh, I just forgot to pay". No you didn't. :roll:

I suppose it's a good thing that I get a break now. At least I'll have time to relax, work on my portfolio, maybe get a summer job/internship, hang out with friends etc. I certainly won't be complaining about a lack of work in my final year when I have to write my dissertation, go to graduate events, and contend with some rather challenging electives. 8O

ToWhomItMayConcern
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Apr 2019, 5:16 pm

Yes when I turned 16 that's when I noticed how fast time seemed to fly I'll be 30 before I know it and my parents will be dead. I still cant believe I'm in my 20s

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 3:06 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
Well, almost. I still have one final presentation to do.

Update: I had the presentation today. Starting from now, it's officially over.