Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

yury
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 May 2019, 1:10 am

i was diagnosed with aspergers about 5 years ago, and everything kind of clicked for me. suddenly it made sense why i had all the problems i had. but since then people like my dad have denied it. he thinks its overdiagnosed. a friend who is on the spectrum also said i dont have it too. says i dont seem like i have it. both of those things have messed me up over the years. i got this diagnosis that made everything make sense, but people dont believe i have it. its weird because people will bully and harass me for being awkward, and being a bad communicator, but when i tell them its because of aspergers, they dont believe me. i feel invisible. i feel like nobody wants to see me for who i am. does anyone else feel this way

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2019, 5:11 am

Welcome to the forum,you'll like it here :)

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

Muia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 May 2019, 5:59 am

Hello Yury,

I understand, even though I’m not officially diagnosed. I’m 99.9% sure but I’ve gotten stuff wrong in the past and that’s why some people don’t believe me now. But everything from tests, to having counselling and learning about masking and burnout all makes sense to me and my identity now.

And welcome btw!

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

RAADS-R SCORE: 148

AQ score: 39

EQ score: 20

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 May 2019, 6:06 am

Oh yes, *lots* of people feel that way! I was a member here when I first noticed that kind of thing. So I decided to get my Dx from a famous mental hospital. It took 2 years, but I got it - in writing, signed by a psychiatrist and a psychologist. That was a lot of work, and a lot of travel. But since then, when everybody and their friends challenge the Dx, I say, "Go argue with the Hospital." Nobody has a word to say. It took 2 years but it was worth it.

For yourself, you've got a Dx and you feel that it fits. So come to us when people get yappy and we'll support you - you are in good company!

And welcome!

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 10:20 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet, Yury! :D

Yes, as Claradoon said, it's is a very common experience among people here. From what you say, it sounds like you are probably quite good at "masking" - using vast amounts of energy and brain-power to work out what you "should" be doing when you're around people, and then adapting your behaviour to fit as best you can. Most other folks can't see the amount of effort this takes; it's more often a sub-conscious thing that seems to happen without any willpower for them. Catch-22: Every effort to "better yourself" becomes evidence that you're "not really autistic" to other people, because they're only judging the outcome, not the difficulty in achieving it. But if the "brain-drain" becomes too much and autistic traits "leak out", you get accused of not trying hard enough. Exactly as you said, you can end up feeling that you can never be your true self around people, and that is not good for one's mental health.

But that isn't something you need to worry about here - it's a place where we can be completely open about these things, and maybe even learn a few strategies to help us cope with them better!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 10:36 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 2:14 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

vinyl360
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2019, 5:59 pm

Hello. I've also felt that way. It really sucks when you disclose your disability with others and they either don't know what you're talking about or don't believe you.

yury
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 May 2019, 12:32 am

Trogluddite wrote:
Most other folks can't see the amount of effort this takes; it's more often a sub-conscious thing that seems to happen without any willpower for them. Catch-22: Every effort to "better yourself" becomes evidence that you're "not really autistic" to other people, because they're only judging the outcome, not the difficulty in achieving it. But if the "brain-drain" becomes too much and autistic traits "leak out", you get accused of not trying hard enough.

this is such a profound and useful insight. thank you so much

and thank you to everyone else who welcomed me. your comments were a joy to read

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 9:02 am

^ Thanks Yuri! When I was first diagnosed, I was as perplexed by it as anybody - it's a good example of the kind of thing you can learn by hanging out on WP!