Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 6:50 pm

What are the criteria for listings in the 'Similar Topics' section of WP?

Are listings presented to moderators, or are automatically gleaned from WP?

The listings in the 'Similar Topics' section sometimes misinterprets context; hence the need for human moderators seems necessary. Automated classification doesn't always understand the context of content e.g., Artificial Intelligence (AI) TECH. has yet to advance towards yielding a reasonable accuracy in gleaning context from content.

Any consideration to boost the number of recent discussions 'Similar Topics' section?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 8:28 am

^
That feature popped up after the site update and yes, it's automated, sometimes with hilariously stupid results. It's also responsible for a big chunk of necro-threads.

I wouldn't put that on the mods even if it was possible, they are already understaffed and the few active ones overworked. I just completely ignore the feature unless I'm bored out of my mind.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 6:16 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
What are the criteria for listings in the 'Similar Topics' section of WP?

Are listings presented to moderators, or are automatically gleaned from WP?

The listings in the 'Similar Topics' section sometimes misinterprets context; hence the need for human moderators seems necessary. Automated classification doesn't always understand the context of content e.g., Artificial Intelligence (AI) TECH. has yet to advance towards yielding a reasonable accuracy in gleaning context from content.

Do you really need something THAT obvious actually EXPLAINED to you???? :lol:

The "similar topics" list that pops up automatically at the end of a thread is obviously generated by computer. The site has existed for more than a decade. The Mods don't have the manhours to go through the Vatican Library sized archive of a decade of threads to pull out those lists of ancient topic titles. And the lists are obviously compiled in a stupid ham fisted way that only a machine, and no human Mod, would do it. You can tell that some computer is just latching on to key words in the thread title and just puking up ancient threads with the same words in the title. Hense why most of the "similar topics" are not "similar topics". :lol:

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2019, 1:21 pm

Has there been consideration to list newer-posts first in 'Similar Topics?'