Foreign language or school store class?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Is 4 years of Foreign language required to be hired by employers?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
no 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
2 years is good enough 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
the more the better, but no 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3

fudgearoundthecorner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2019, 4:04 pm

I am planning on going to a school that doesn't require foreign language to get in, and I want to major in computer sciences. I have one spanish credit, finishing my second one this year.

I was asked about the school merchandise store by my microsoft office teacher(this is something that not just anybody can sign up for, the teacher only asks kids she thinks are capable), and asked if I wanted to join. I obviously said yes, and applied as the website operator. I would learn how to work a website and I would organize the orders placed into the site. My mother was fine with it- until we learned that it was an actual class and not an extra-curricular.

My mother is insistent that I take spanish 3 next year and give up the store managing. I personally dislike spanish, and I would already have 2 credits of it after this year if i pass. Her reasoning behind this is "Nobody will hire you if you aren't billingual, and you need to take 4 years of it to be considered billingual". I'm split on pleasing my mother and having a well-rounded college application. Any ideas on how to convince my mother to let me be a part of the school store?

Don't tell me that I should do whatever I think is right for me... because people who say that to children brainwash them into getting useless majors like art and philosphy, and my mother cares about me enough to at least guide me to a good field (she doesn't even want me getting a computer sciences degree, she wants me to be a General practioner, or at least a lab tech, her compromise. I don't want to work in a medical field)

"Pit, go fetch me some mac and cheese w/ flaming hot cheetos"
"Yes lady Fudgearoundthecorner"

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 9:39 pm

Some jobs require Spanish, but it doesn't say how many years

More job descriptions contain web design , than Spanish. But that is not a representative sample

For a computer science major, web design is more necessary than Spanish

For a medical doctor, Spanish is more necessary.

Plenty of people that speak only English have jobs

Depends on where you live though

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 4:53 pm

C++ is a language of its own so ..

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 4:55 pm

maybe u should learn lojban or sth idk