Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 5:57 pm

Hi:
I just started watching Stranger Things on Netflix after being too scared to do so for a while. After all, has been said and done, I finally viewed the first two episodes in the first season. I found that the show is every classic 80's nerdy movie combined.

It's ET meets The Goonies, meets Close Encounter of the Third Kind, Meets Poltergiest. They also do a great job making the show seem like it's a show that one would watch in the 80's with the music and credit font.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2019, 1:10 am

I watched the first season around when it came out and thought it was just okay, but after months and months passed, I started thinking about it again and decided to re-watch it and absolutely loved it. However, I thought the second season was a bit of a let-down. It's not a bad show, but I think its massive hype hurt it a bit.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 6:52 am

I am not obsessed with it myself, but I do like the 80's theme and the references to the popular movies during that time. I do agree that the show is overrated.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2019, 7:27 am

Well, there's a difference between "overrated" and "over-hyped". My opinions of the second season not withstanding, I do believe the show is all-around fantastic and completely deserving of praise, easily one of the better science fiction series of the decade, but I don't know if I can fully grasp being assaulted with every conceivable piece of 'Stranger Things' merchandise there is whether I go to Hot Topic or Target, or having seen entire aisles dedicated to the show at Spirit Halloween. "Over-marketed", I guess.

treefiddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2019, 9:50 am

I agree, I think over-hyping anything will inevitably hurt its chances to make a good impression.

I personally loved both seasons, so much so that when they ended, I felt like I had to say goodbye to some good friends. Summer_Twilight, I think you should wait until you finish at least the first season, as I personally most appreciate the show as a whole; my favourite thing about it was the overall atmosphere, which I think is quite unique. It definitely created a world One could escape to.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 10:16 am

Will do. I really like Winona Ryder's character as I think her acting in there is phenomenal. The way she communicates with Will reminds me of the scenes in Poltergeists when Carolanne's parents communicated with her.

treefiddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2019, 10:35 am

Totally agree; she's a badass mum.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 3:17 pm

I've never been obsessed with Stranger Things. but I thought it was pretty good.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 3:41 pm

treefiddy wrote:

Yes she is and so is her other son, who I like better for Michael's big sister. I also like 11 as her story is interesting too.

treefiddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2019, 4:00 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
treefiddy wrote:

Yes she is and so is her other son, who I like better for Michael's big sister. I also like 11 as her story is interesting too.

I agree with all that too. I wish I had a big brother like him growing up.
Man, just talking about those characters is making me wanna rewatch it! Let me know if you end up falling in love with it once you watch the whole of the first season.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 7:14 pm

I am already on the 4th episode and what I am learning is that the show seems to be sadder than scary myself next to suspenseful.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 7:00 am

It's always been on my short list of shows I will definitely watch every episode of. Along with it being so 80's its also quite Stephen King-ish which is intentional.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 7:20 am

I have only seen a few things that were based on books by Stephen King. He's an interesting person outside of his kooky stories. I would say that 11's character is pretty Stephen Kingish as she reminds me of Carrie and perhaps Drew Barrymore's character in Fire Starter.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 May 2019, 7:45 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I really like Winona Ryder's character as I think her acting in there is phenomenal.

That's another thing, the casting is excellent. I'm really happy to see Winona Ryder back in the spotlight; she had just starting coming back into prominence after her career was derailed in the 2000s, and 'Stranger Things' is definitely what launched her back into the mainstream. The show's also a great launching pad for David Harbour, who I think is a fine actor deserving of a prominent movie/television career (although I've heard 'Hellboy' wasn't exactly a great start).

The kid actors, though, they're insanely talented. Hollywood's a really tough place for child actors, but I hope all those kids turn out okay and have lasting careers.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 1:27 pm

I heard that Sean Astin is in the show too and he's really talented. I loved him as Samwise Gamgee and Mikey from The Goonies, which Stranger Things somewhat reminds me of.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 May 2019, 7:08 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I heard that Sean Astin is in the show too and he's really talented. I loved him as Samwise Gamgee and Mikey from The Goonies, which Stranger Things somewhat reminds me of.

I like Sean Astin, though he's been in a slew of pretty bad direct-to-video fare since 'Lord of the Rings'. It's also nice to see him land a spot in such a high-profile show. The second season also has Paul Reiser; I'm sure he's been busy but I honestly hadn't seen him in anything since the early 2000s.