Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Have you experienced sleep paralysis or night terrors in your lifetime?
Yes 55%  55%  [ 22 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 16 ]
Maybe 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 40

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 5:27 pm

I'd never heard the term 'hypnogogia' but that describes my experience - often feeling like I'm falling, dying, losing my soul/spirit, being abducted by aliens, possessed, or attacked by demons, as I'm in that in-between sleep stage.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 5:29 pm

I sometimes wake up after feeling the sensation of falling off a cliff.

I used to have dreams where I would be at the edge of the cliff.....and I wouldn't be able to escape falling.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 5:37 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
skibum wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've had musical auditory hallucinations that disappear as soon as I realise they're happening. They've not seemed to be coming from anywhere but my head.
I have those sometimes. I have written entire symphonies and can't bring them back when I want to.

Me too! I've heard lyrics and melodies and tried so hard to recreate them!

I'm sorry about your sleep paralysis, especially that it can last hours! What's it like for you during that time? How conscious are you? Your family must have been so frightened when it first began. :(
Thank you
I love that you hear music too. We are so alike and I love that.

My family has no idea about my sleep paralysis. I don't think anyone knows, except you guys and the couple of people I have recently told. It was quite scary until I was told what it actually is. I only found out what it actually is last year. But I remember laying in bed paralyzed and trying for scream to help and unable to do so, so of course no one had any idea. They thought I was just taking a nap or sleeping. I never bothered telling anyone though until very recently because I was so used to being labelled a hypochondriac by my family every since I was a little kid. Many people in my family including my parents are doctors and nurses and when I first starting talking about Autistic or misophonic symptoms or my hypertonia, I was just invalidated and dismissed and treated like a hypochondriac and labelled one because no one else was experiencing what I was experiencing so of course I had to by lying or just making things up. And because they were medical professionals, obviously they knew everything. So I learned from a very early age that I could not trust anyone with anything I was going through so I never told anyone and just dealt with whatever I went through on my own. But I have no reason to tell them even now because they spend too much time invalidating me and telling me that I can't possibly know myself and what I go through and my reality is just my reality and not actual reality because if it was real, dad, the doctor would have known about it even if he never noticed or had no education or actual knowledge about the actual condition.

Wreck It Ralph