Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

brandocommando
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 May 2019, 11:06 am

Has anyone had any luck with blue light blocking glasses or Irlen lenses to help reduce the anxiety this causes? I am trying to find something that works the best, if I need to wear sunglasses all the time I might as well get something that has a therapeutic benefit beyond hiding my eyes. Lights in stores make it feel as the world is closing in on me.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2019, 10:07 pm

I use blue-blocker sunglasses while driving and outside in the sun. They dramatically reduce visual overload for me. I don't get anxiety so much when exposed to bright light as I get really tired and irritable. I have a pair of clip-on blue-blockers that can go over prescription glasses too. I tend to get visually fatigued if I look at or read off of a white screen (like the background of this page) too long and I've wondered if Irlen lenses could help, but there's a whole process you go through to be evaluated for visual acuity with different shades of such lenses and they can be expensive. Fluorescent lights in stores can get to me because of their rapid flickering (I guess most people don't notice it), but I don't know if lenses can reduce such flickering.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 1:18 pm

I have a blue blocking computer prescription that I like but I don't know whether it is the blue blocking on having a prescription that is well suited to what I need at that distance. I'm old enough that my eyes don't focus as well as they did when I was young.

Hoola
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2019, 6:01 pm

I have gradient purple (lavender) tinted script lenses. I love them.
They reduce my discomfort substantially.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 7:08 pm

Prescription sunglasses might have been one of my top ten purchases in life.
Basically, until I bought those at age 32, I hated going outside, and I wasn't even sure why.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 8:40 pm

I have two pairs of prescription sunglasses. One is a permanent dark tint and the other is a transition lens for wearing all the time.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 10:09 pm

I’m sensitive to light, it different for me. When I turned on lights, they can really make me very warm, they can hurt my eyes too.

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2019, 10:38 pm

This thread reminds me of all the times someone walked into a room I was in as a kid and asked "why are you sitting in there with the lights off?" and then turned the light on making me feel uncomfortable.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 11:47 pm

dyadiccounterpoint wrote:
This thread reminds me of all the times someone walked into a room I was in as a kid and asked "why are you sitting in there with the lights off?" and then turned the light on making me feel uncomfortable.

That still happens to me and I didn't think I was very light sensitive. Candlelight dinner level illumination is especially nice after a day of sitting under department store level brightness.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 2:18 am

I wear KD's Biker Shades which come in a variety of lense colors. I also have a pair of Randolph Engineering aviator sunglasses that have a progressive grey lense.