Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 5:52 am

Can you examples with due respect?

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 May 2019, 6:04 am

"Queer" or "Questioning". It's essentially an umbrella letter to cover whichever sexual or gender identities (or lack of sexual or gender identities) aren't strictly defined by "Gay", "Lesbian", "Bisexual" or "Transgender": intersex, non-binary, pansexual, polysexual, demisexual, asexual, etc.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 5:05 am

The Q helps recognise non-binary gender identification.
None of the other letters cover people who identify as genderfluid or androgynous, for example.

TheEpicAutistic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Aug 2019, 8:31 am

Queer or questioning

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2019, 9:40 am

I never knew what the "Q" meant before now, thanks

TheEpicAutistic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Aug 2019, 7:47 pm

“Questioning” or “Queer”. Both used for lgbtq people who are figuring themselves out and questioning where they fit on the not-straight/cis spectrum.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 8:11 pm

"Q as in Queer" might also refer to someone who engages in behavior that has not traditionally been related to his or her birth-assigned sex -- a boy who enjoys doing housework and hates sports or a girl who enjoys doing yardwork and likes sports, for example. The term is considered derogatory when used this way; examples:

"He would rather bake a cake than watch a baseball game? What a queer!"

"She wants to play football and not 'Barbie dates G.I. Joe'? What a queer!"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2019, 4:02 am

Recently, our LGBT club wanted to add initials to the title. Make it LGBTQIOU, or something similar. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Queer, Intersex, Onanist, Undeclared; I forget the exact categories. At a certain point, things get ridiculous. Back in the day, Gay covered everything. My college club was just Gay. Then the lesbians got upset because gay came to mean gay male, apparently. Also, they wanted to be first in the word. O.K., no prob. Then the bisexuals edged in, they were content to be last, they were often in the closet anyway back then. Then trans, they were also content to be the rear guard as well. Soon we will need a guidebook.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2019, 1:37 am

(L)aser
(G)rande
(B)inaural
(T)ransient
(Q)uantum
(R)ainbow
(F)amily

-- for the win!! ! That includes everyone.
Group letters as appropriate.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2019, 12:38 pm

tensordyne wrote:
(L)aser
(G)rande
(B)inaural
(T)ransient
(Q)uantum
(R)ainbow
(F)amily

-- for the win!! ! That includes everyone.
Group letters as appropriate.
Hmph! What do you have against (A)liens and (M)utants?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Sep 2019, 10:15 am

Fnord wrote:
"He would rather bake a cake than watch a baseball game? What a queer!"

"She wants to play football and not 'Barbie dates G.I. Joe'? What a queer!"

I never got it how the above gets linked to sexual preferences.
Don't get me wrong... I just see these and LGB (I never really figured out T because I don't know any Trans persons IRL to talk about it) as totally separate factors.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 10:22 am

magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
"He would rather bake a cake than watch a baseball game? What a queer!" "She wants to play football and not 'Barbie dates G.I. Joe'? What a queer!"
I never got it how the above gets linked to sexual preferences...
It isn't so much the behaviors that related to sexual preferences (at first); it's the word "queer" that has been mis-appropriated to mean "homosexual". As George Carlin once put it, "... back in my day, the queers beat up on the homos, and everyone else beat up on the queers!"

There was a time before then when a "queer little fellow" might only refer to an older, bookish, milquetoast type of man who shuffled around a lot and didn't engage in idle conversations.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2019, 1:22 pm

Quote:
Hmph! What do you have against (A)liens and (M)utants?

Nothing against mutants, but since everyone statistically is a mutant to one degree or another, including them seems superfluous.

If by alien you mean alien to earth life-form, then the thing I have against them is that they could be biological vectors carrying who knows what diseases from other planets, or maybe outright invaders. Best not to take chances and erradicate them upon contact, liberally burning and as safely as possible storing the remains, as well.

Yeah, alien contact is a tough question though on how to respond to. H. Sapiens are my peeps, that is all I know. 8O

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 1:24 pm

tensordyne wrote:
... If by alien you mean alien to earth life-form, then the thing I have against them is that they could be biological vectors carrying who knows what diseases from other planets, or maybe outright invaders. Best not to take chances and erradicate them upon contact, liberally burning and as safely as possible storing the remains, as well. ...
Hmm ... not sure if speciism or not ...

:chin:

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2019, 1:43 pm

Wait a minute, did you have an actual (A) and (M) in mind??? My R is a catchall for (R)egistereless persons, types we don't know about or are so fringe they don't come up often -- I am looking at you my fury companions. (F) for Family, aka, cis-normative persons.

This is not official in any way. Just poetry, but I sure as heck-fire do not want to piss anyone off over some poetry... let me know your thoughts if you actually are perturbed or if I am reading you corrctly that you're joshing me. I've got to cya on certain topics sometimes, you know?

Take Care :)

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2019, 1:55 pm

I am only speciecist if it comes down to an arbitrary choice between my species and another, unless they offer me a brain transplant all Avatar-like and they have better experiences then H. Sapiens have to offer. Species Benedict-Arnold for sure then. That is some hot looking tail if you know what I am talking about (now you will say I am mysogynistic, which, really???).

Pandora for the Na'vi!

On a related note, I hate meat eaters speciecist arguments for eating meat. It's like arguing it's ok to torture the ret*d kid, cus, well, it's not like he can fight back now, right? That is opening the Vegan can of worms so, moving on.