Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 8:05 am

^ I think a link to higher intelligence is tenuous at best. Most people, ND or NT, fall within the average range of intelligence. Yes,some people will be highly intelligent on the spectrum , but most aren't.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 1:59 pm

A person's IQ doesn't determine if one gets a "less well-paid," or "more well-paid" job.

They don't give IQ tests when you're interviewing for a prospective job.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 2:20 am

Magneto wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Magneto wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Magneto wrote:
Given how IQ has become even more valuable in the modern economy, does it make sense to eliminate the risk of your child having Asperger's (which *is* qualitatively distinct from classical Autism - there's no evidence to suggest that they share a cause), if it means their IQ drops by 10 points, which could mean the difference between a well paid job and an average job - or an average job and a low paid one?

Perhaps you should remember that people with "Aspergers" still have a significantly higher rate of unemployment than NTs.
It's actually pretty bad - chronic unemployment of 75-85%. So trying to sell the idea that you might miss out on an Aspie "super human" isn't going to cut it with parents who have the option to abort....

Perhaps you should read posts before replying to them. Or do you not know what the word "risk" means?

I do but didn't see you use it?

Bolded it to make it clear.

Firemonkey,

It could, but that's a lot less likely than it dropping - both because IQ closer to the mean is a lot more common anyway, and because if a trait is connected with higher IQ, and you eliminate that trait, you would not expect that trait to suddenly become connected to lower IQ...

My point stands, (risk or otherwise) even if the child turns out to have Aspergers there it's not probable the child's IQ will go up 10 points (I think that's what you were insinuating) since a) A now redundant DSMIV diagnosis of Aspergers only requires an IQ > 70 b) the outcome for a diagnosis of aspergers is still an order of magnitude worse than for an NT child. I am certainly not promoting abortion but I don't speak for all parents out there.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 9:27 am

No, your point doesn't, and never did stand.

[b]If a gene variant is associated with a higher IQ, and you filter out embryos that have that variant because it is also associated with traits you don't like, you are filtering for lower IQ.[b]

This is not difficult to understand.

Quote:
A person's IQ doesn't determine if one gets a "less well-paid," or "more well-paid" job.

They don't give IQ tests when you're interviewing for a prospective job.

Only because it's illegal. They do use proxies, like university degrees. Or administer IQ tests but don't call them that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 5:51 am

I'll make it simple..."aspie genes" are currently thought to be the same as genes for autism. There are environmental factors that switch on some genes resulting in increased dysfunction...so no parent is going to risk if the (hypothetical) gene test comes back positive and I doubt your concerns over IQ would warrant any change of mind.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 6:25 pm

They don't administer IQ tests----whether they are called IQ tests or not.

They just don't do it. They test the person in the pertinent skill set for the job.