What would a world without neurotypicals be like?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lone Replicant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2019, 1:37 am

Imagine waking up one day and discovering that all neurotypicals have disappeared. Would the world collapse? Would we all starve? Would the grass in our gardens grow so large that it would turn into a jungle? For you, what would happen?

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 3:50 am

I'm struggling to define the line between NT and Neurodiverse. I am probably much closer to a NT than I am to someone with severe autism, and I would assume that some supposed NT's are closer to someone with severe autism than I am.

Nevertheless, I assume it would be a typical result of drastic population reduction, that being a societal collapse or reversion to an earlier kind of organization (very hierarchical), probably based on scavenging (due to the massive remains of mostly canned food and large industrial plants), which would be the equivalent of community farming when this had happened in the past. In the past, like in the case of several Mesoamerican societies, people who were unified under a central government and congregated in a massive capital city would scatter back into small communities and farm.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 4:21 am

The world would have a significantly smaller population and therefore have to start over. It would most likely run on a much more simplistic level since power plants and factories etc would be unmanned. Pretty much the same outcome of a post apoplectic world where only a small percentage of people exist.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 6:28 am

Does that include people who aren't NT nor autistic? If so then you should use the word ''allistic''.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 6:35 am

I echo what Ezra said. Plus that would mean I'd wake up and my family would be gone. No thanks.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 6:55 am

Neurodiverse would become the new "neurotypical".

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2019, 7:34 am

I assume this means "A world with only autistics in the same population levels that NT's currently occupy."

I question the development of "bandwagon" culture in such a society. I think autistic people are less likely to be influenced to listen to a particular music artist, for instance, by their peers than a NT person.

I think autistic people are less likely to gravitate towards a moderate political center (relative to their social environment) purely out of conformity.

I think this kind of difference would become incredibly pronounced.

You also have the reality that society is engineered to cater to people who enjoy social interaction in the same fashion as NT's. I like to call it the "pep rally" culture.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

Lone Replicant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2019, 7:59 am

dyadiccounterpoint wrote:
I think autistic people are less likely to be influenced to listen to a particular music artist, for instance, by their peers than a NT person.

I think autistic people are less likely to gravitate towards a moderate political center (relative to their social environment) purely out of conformity.

I think this kind of difference would become incredibly pronounced.

I also believe in this. The main difference I see between the NT world and ours is in the incredible strength that any fairy tale exercises in the NT world.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 8:32 am

Civilization would revert to savagery as millions of autistic people are left to fend for themselves.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 8:34 am

I don't believe a totally-autistic human species would last too long. Maybe a few generations.

This is because making love requires a little more than biological urges.....

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 8:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
... making love requires a little more than biological urges...
As a wise philosopher once said, "What's love got to do with it?" A baby is just as likely to result from forced sex as from consensual sex.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 8:57 am

I wouldn't have a person knowledgeable in the ways of life and social interactions to look up to and learn from. While my functioning has improved quite a bit and my social circles have expanded, I still have a lot to learn.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 9:18 am

I believe we "need" neurotypical folks.

But I do wish, sometimes, that they would leave me alone to watch, say, the mountains, without trying to force me to socially interact.

Or to allow me to watch traffic on a Cameroonian highway when I feel like it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 9:25 am

I am not sure if I am getting this. I mean. Those on the spectrum seem just as normal to me as those who are not except those on the spectrum understand a lot more of the things I can personally relate to, while those who are not don't want to know or just don't know where I am coming from.
I think of it this way. Lets say it is found that I am not on the spectrum. (I dont actually know either way). Then it will be that those who are on the spectrum know so much more about life and how our brains work then those who are not on the spectrum, as those who are not may not even want to analyse things... Why analyse when one has no reason to?

I have a mind thing trying to see where I personally fit in. I mean.. Some on the spectrum I don't relate to as in their concepts and ways are very different then mine. Yet, a good portion on the spectrum I can identify with as I personally can relate to it.
I know I am not a normal average human being in that I very much am an individual who does his own thing. Always have been. So the concept of me not being on the spectrum which certainly is possible leave me in a position of thinking of "Where do I fit then?" As I certainly am not the same as most people! Maybe I just am so unique that I don't fit in any catagory! Haha!

I love this site as it gets me thinking and analysing. Also, it is refreshing as I find that on here there are people who can relate to me, and I to them (No matter if we are on the spectrum or not) so I am getting to really know myself and u derstand myself when I aas just going round in circles before not making head or tail about anything, which is so frustrating!

A question about masking. Can someone who is not on the spectrum be an expert at masking. I mean... I have felt for so many years that there is the real me inside, and I habe to put on an act to be accepted. I feel rhat "If only they knew the real me" but then the few times I am the real me means I am very much alone. Ok, God understands me totally and to some extent my Mum does, but until I came on this site I didn't think I would ever fine anyone else who does.

Anyway. Before I write round the world and back... I better let you lot write some replies!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 9:45 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I am not sure if I am getting this. I mean. Those on the spectrum seem just as normal to me as those who are not except those on the spectrum understand a lot more of the things I can personally relate to, while those who are not don't want to know or just don't know where I am coming from...
This is just a guess, but I think it may be that while 'we' tend to perceives all of the quirky signals that everybody else is putting out (which is what confuses me), 'they' perceive only those behaviors that identify another one of 'them' to each other (which is why 'they' get along so well with each other). If I could only selectively filter for specific signals, maybe I could identify those people who would be more copacetic with the aspie mindset.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 10:47 am

What it would really mean is the highest functioning ones would become the new "NTs".

In the autism schools I attended there was definitely a pecking order. The higher functioning were the cool kids. Us others were the oddballs.