Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 6:01 am

blooiejagwa wrote:
My grandma was married at age 14or 15. And her husband must have been 16 or 17?
But that was accepted then and their parents and everyone around them were the same way.

My point is that it’s obvious that media had nothing to do with it.. they saw someone. They met and liked someone ....they married and whatever else afterwards...

And that is around the world for a very long time excpt in larger cities such was the case most places.

The british bigoted evil weirdo Lord Mountbatten he wrote in his notes and letters of what he saw in India.and one thing he said was that the girls get married younger because they get puberty faster than in England (due to climate he theorized)
But then ppl like edgar llan poe had fourteen or fifteen yr old brides and it was normal

And if they were so young they wd get married but slowly phase out of the family homes.. so was climate to blame or media or was it just a natural progression of life?

I just think it’s natural but the repercussions are vast and therefore it is best to wait till those kids get older

I read about Lord Mountbatten he was nickmaned Earl “Mountbottom" :D
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9749352/l ... niversary/

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 10:55 am

My first impulse seems to this - we've lived, for the last 25 or 30 years at least, in a neoliberal market where - as expected by evolution - sex sells, making money is the one noble priority of being alive, and we've had our culture on most other metrics evacuated in the name of making money. Yes, certain civil rights movements have continued through the 2010's but I think they've been more or less trying to use the system as they found it and that system was already deep in decadence.

What will be very interesting to see is how Covid effects this. I remember hearing, for example, that fascism was less of a self-consistent political-economic theory and more of a cultural immune response. Cultural battles of ideology can twist up the dials but disease and immune-disgust reaction can add to that in the literal sense.

The above makes me wonder not whether we're going to slip into fascism of some kind, I think the whole culture is moving in a new direction of sorts, but whether this might cause us to claw back some of the sexual marketing and advertising being that we've gotten so disease-conscious that people in many places around the world are locked in their homes.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin