Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2019, 9:35 am

HabitatBranch wrote:
I don't really know what I can say to expand peoples' visions of what is possible. I'm not talking about a Utopia and labeling things as such seems like a good way to be lazy.
Then present a valid fiduciary prospectus. That will convince the smart investors. The rest will follow.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 3:40 pm

HabitatBranch wrote:
I don't really know what I can say to expand peoples' visions of what is possible. I'm not talking about a Utopia and labeling things as such seems like a good way to be lazy.

https://youtu.be/3IXvaFCauLw

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jun 2019, 4:20 pm

RushKing wrote:
HabitatBranch wrote:

https://youtu.be/3IXvaFCauLw

I've got to admit I don't get the theoretical underpinnings the video mentions especially in the first half or so, but it seems to describe that capitalism is able to defeat other systems. I don't see how it could do this without being more productive than them, which is why I support it. I think mindless production is bad/unfair, which is why I advocate for a regulated, mixed economy based on democracy. Which is why I'm a liberal, I'm told.

Edit: To emphasize, I don't think it's so much most people can't see a system other than capitalism, it's that they start to see immediately that it wouldn't provide them as much of what they want, i.e. they believe these other systems would harm them.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 4:53 pm

Dan82 wrote:
I've got to admit I don't get the theoretical underpinnings the video mentions especially in the first half or so, but it seems to describe that capitalism is able to defeat other systems. I don't see how it could do this without being more productive than them, which is why I support it.

I think another economy is possible.

Global capitalism creates feedback loops. People that want to challenge the system are going to have engage in large scale bottom up political organization, like what Rojava is doing. It's not enough to run away and isolate ourselves in a commune who knows where.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jun 2019, 2:57 am

RushKing wrote:
Dan82 wrote:
I've got to admit I don't get the theoretical underpinnings the video mentions especially in the first half or so, but it seems to describe that capitalism is able to defeat other systems. I don't see how it could do this without being more productive than them, which is why I support it.

I think another economy is possible.

Global capitalism creates feedback loops. People that want to challenge the system are going to have engage in large scale bottom up political organization, like what Rojava is doing. It's not enough to run away and isolate ourselves in a commune who knows where.

What will I get for cleaning the floors in your system?

HabitatBranch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2019, 11:22 am

As if there is any reason to believe political endeavors are more than people trying to talk over each other and no one knowing what anyone else is saying besides themselves. As if any social interaction is different than this lol...
What experiences of real life do people even have to go on? None, most of the time.
As if I am trying to isolate myself in a commune, definitely not. As if I am trying to live in this world at all, definitely not. I will just continue to rot in my parent's guest room until I finally become miserable enough to kill myself or something else happens like I get the police called on me again and am able to successfully manipulate them into shooting me.
Good thing the world is already a lost cause and all of our lives have overwhelmingly negative value!

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jul 2019, 5:00 pm

HabitatBranch wrote:
As if there is any reason to believe political endeavors are more than people trying to talk over each other and no one knowing what anyone else is saying besides themselves. As if any social interaction is different than this lol...
What experiences of real life do people even have to go on? None, most of the time.
As if I am trying to isolate myself in a commune, definitely not. As if I am trying to live in this world at all, definitely not. I will just continue to rot in my parent's guest room until I finally become miserable enough to kill myself or something else happens like I get the police called on me again and am able to successfully manipulate them into shooting me.
Good thing the world is already a lost cause and all of our lives have overwhelmingly negative value!

Serious question: what do you think the mechanism for the change in society through time has been if not different agreements among people based on differing available technologies and environmental factors?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 5:50 am

I think the next practical step for capitalism, if markets as they exist are going to survive our changes of environment, is an anthropic model of capitalism - ie. one where we're making sure that it's serving us rather than some particular Darwinian rule-set that arises from sheer emergence and inflicts the law of the jungle on us by voting that the value of human life is inseparable from performance in an environment that it creates. Especially with a culture where our chief modus operandi and technically 'religion' is consumerism our culture goes the way of whatever economic model we choose and to say it's survival of the fittest means we'll be losing whatever civility that we've tried to bake in because under that system said civility would be all 'fluff' or 'woo-woo'.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 5:16 pm

HabitatBranch wrote:
you're all so f*****g disgusting I hate you so much

No one is going to want to discuss your ideas if you're being like that...

I kind of wanted to see where the discussion would go, as the world needs to become more ecological, but you have to be more patient a lot of people with different viewpoints and opinions on this forum so there is bound to be misunderstanding and disagreement.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jul 2019, 7:04 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
HabitatBranch wrote:
you're all so f*****g disgusting I hate you so much

No one is going to want to discuss your ideas if you're being like that...

I kind of wanted to see where the discussion would go, as the world needs to become more ecological, but you have to be more patient a lot of people with different viewpoints and opinions on this forum so there is bound to be misunderstanding and disagreement.

He doesn't really want to discuss his ideas, he wants to live in a fantasy world where his arbitrary whims are satisfied and he's on top of the hierarchy.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 8:11 pm

HabitatBranch wrote:
I am the only one who doesn't want to live in a fantasy world. but of course I don't want to discuss things with all you scumbags. f**k all of you you're just cannonfodder in your own nightmare that you think you're enjoying but you're actually making yourself sicker until you die, same as everyone else. I'm sure when you're about to die you'll realize the error of your ways.

I'm more of the mindset that nature red in tooth and nail, rapacious industrialism, it's all ebbs and flows of the same thing. In our day and age, as John Gray puts it, the planet is experiencing disseminated primatemaia.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin