Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

cherryglitter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2019, 1:08 am

My late teens and twenties have been absolutely miserable. I'm burned out and sick to death of food service, so much to a point where I'm not enjoying my life anymore and my depression has gotten crushing. I can't see the point in a life that feels so empty, grueling and I'm pretty much a slave. No days off, uniform, horribly long hours, don't get to go anywhere or see my family. What am I even working for? I'm just saddened and don't even feel like this life is worth it. I realize I need to get out of the food industry, but I don't know how when I just have an Associate's degree in English (the major my parents chose for me) and no other skills. I can't keep living like this, though. I was not made for food service, I have a different destiny. I need to break up with it forever and find another path, but how can I do that when nobody will give me a chance? Waitressing is taking a toll on my mental health and emotional well being and I don't want to keep doing this. I'm going to break. :(

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2019, 8:22 am

What exactly is your "Destiny"?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

PickTheFlower
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jun 2019, 3:20 pm

Same that's why back when I was a teen I refused to work any more food jobs and i havent. Quit life is too short, I'm not sure what you can do with an English degree.

ARE you interested in speech pathology? Writing. Teaching? I'm pretty sure you could become a teacher.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2019, 7:38 pm

PickTheFlower wrote:
Same that's why back when I was a teen I refused to work any more food jobs and i havent. Quit life is too short, I'm not sure what you can do with an English degree.

ARE you interested in speech pathology? Writing. Teaching? I'm pretty sure you could become a teacher.

A speech pathologist needs a Masters degree and more

A k-12 school teacher needs a Bachelor degree. Although you could be a teaching assistant. :roll: when I was in seventh grade, I was a teaching assistant

A writer, you don't have to have a degree. But you need a lot of skill

:mrgreen:

cherryglitter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jun 2019, 1:18 am

My mom will not let me quit. She is the boss of my life, rules with an iron fist and refuses to let me quit or make that decision to myself so I'm truly trapped.

I wouldn't mind being a teacher, maybe for middle school or even a counselor/therapist for teens or young adults.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2019, 8:34 am

cherryglitter wrote:
... I wouldn't mind being a teacher, maybe for middle school or even a counselor/therapist for teens or young adults.
For that, you will need a four-year degree, plus a Masters' Degree in Education, plus a teaching certificate from your state government, plus a year or two as a teacher's assistant.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cherryglitter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jun 2019, 5:12 pm

Ohhh boy, gotta go back to square one then...

I feel like I've been robbed of my youth.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2019, 6:41 pm

cherryglitter wrote:
Ohhh boy, gotta go back to square one then... I feel like I've been robbed of my youth.
You can still take charge of your life, can't you?

cherryglitter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2019, 1:07 am

That's an interesting question.