Civilization: Institutions, Knowledge and the Future - Samo

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2019, 10:12 am

Really neat lecture and yeah, hitting on the issue that if we don't have substantive generational knowledge transfer we can easily lose what we have and it an intellectual, possibly even material, dark age.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2019, 10:14 am

Yep....that's pretty much what happened with the Western Romans...…

They had knowledge of things like plumbing and road building----but, under those like the Ostrogoths, that knowledge was lost (especially plumbing) until the 19th century.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2019, 11:00 am

Another hour of this guy. I'll definitely have to keep tabs on his work.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2019, 11:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep....that's pretty much what happened with the Western Romans...…

They had knowledge of things like plumbing and road building----but, under those like the Ostrogoths, that knowledge was lost (especially plumbing) until the 19th century.

Jonathan Blow (famous programmer) actually gave a speech recently giving the same warnings Samo is about concerns over whether generational knowledge is getting passed on. One of his examples was significant chip failures at a lot of different companies because new ideas were tried which didn't account for knowledge that was already had regarding electro-magnetic buildups that just wasn't passed on.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2019, 7:16 pm

Didn't have the time to listen to all of it yet, but watched a few of the shorts he has on his channel. He's a good find, I think, bringing together some of Chomsky's ideas on government investment and myths of private innovation with the wide historical view of a Yuval Harari. Thanks for posting!

Plus, he tears some holes into American myths of personsl agency and individual merit, by pointing to the society one stands on.
Amen to that.